Moved by Classical Music

A classical music discussion.
hslavid

Moved by Classical Music

Unread postby hslavid » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:11 pm

This morning as we were on our way to church, I was listening to CBC radio One which was playing some classical music. It was the "Brandenberg Concerto" being performed. It moved me, almost bringing me to tears. Everyone has at one time or another shared about a song or songs that ministered, moved, excited them but it was almost always with lyrics and it was the lyrics that was the catalyst. This, however was different. There were no words. It was the beauty of the intruments as they were playing in harmony, the melody which was wonderful. I love classical music and I have a few classical cd's in my collection but it's usually not my first choice of music to listen to. Yet this had a profound impact on me in the car as we were heading to church. Anyone else been moved by classical pieces and what were they?

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Mozart

Unread postby scottfinn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:56 pm

A Little Night Music [Eine Kleine Nachtmusik]. This piece makes my heart sing. I first heard it when I was a child, as it was the theme song to a TV program called Whiz Kids or something. It was synthesized music there, but it burned into my memory, and back then, I really had no idea how to find out what it was.

When I was in high school, I was in a bookstore and I heard it! I got chills and my eyes teared up. It was like finding a long lost friend. I made a beeline for the front counter to ask what it was. I then asked to buy a copy of the tape that they were playing. The did not have another copy, but they agreed to sell me the one in the tape player.

There has never been a piece of music since then that just made my heard leap like this one.

Marty Farrell
Contributor

Unread postby Marty Farrell » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:01 am

Greetings Dave,

I have been a 'closet classist' since college days! I often find it moving when I can give it my full attention. Most of the Classical composers where men of deep religious convitions so I don't find it unusual that there works have a 'spiritual' dimension to them.

Right now, however, I'm in love with Michelle Tumes' Chant. That not only moves me but causes me to stand still and lift my hans! Its a great worship song but largely over looked by many.

Slán,
Marty
Whom have I in Heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire but you. Psalm 73:25

hslavid

Unread postby hslavid » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Another classical piece which I love is, Air on the G String (from the Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D). I was sampling a classical cd at a music store one day ("Bach's Adagios") and this song came on... I didnt even bother to listen to the rest, I simply bought it out of the strength of that one song. The whole cd is of course great as well!

I also have to comment on Michelle Tumes. I heard her album and think it great to listen. She has a almost haunting quality to her voice that works well with the music. Its a great listen.

Lee
Contributor

Meistersinger — Altered Space

Unread postby Lee » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Speaking of being moved by music, for me it's Die Meistersinger by Richard Wagner. The way he tells this medieval tale of a singing contest in Nuremburg is so inspiring. Some say its because the work is written in the key of C, the way it can lift us up emotionally. It's the longest opera of them all, but length is irrelevant when you are moved into altered space and that's what it does for me. It has a mood elevating effect and I feel positive about life when I've spent the four hours it takes to hear it! It took Wagner many, many years to write it. But it was well worth it. It's like the Sistine Chapel of Michelangelo, one of the great monuments of western civilisation.
-Lee

Return to “Classical”