2. Boy With a Coin (Single Edit)
3. Kingdom of the Animals

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: New Iron & Wine Releases Coming

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:44 am

i was following some crumbs tonight and found a bit of the shepherd's dog - a live bootleg of sam beam [iron & wine] from 2.8.07 at pabst theatre with previews of the forthcoming album. here's the links:

http://www.captainsdead.com/2007/02/23/ ... hall-meet/
http://www.captainsdead.com/2007/02/27/ ... or-nothin/

Sam Beam wrote:so i just finished recording a new record [applause] it's called the shepherd's dog as in d.a.w.g. [laughter] it's the shepherd's dog. i dunno, i had all these songs that had this dog in them and so that's what it's called but i thought, i thought, if you guys don't mind i'd try to play some new songs [cheers] saying that, that being said, i haven't played many of these songs so we'll see what happens. there's all these different tunings and all kinds of sh*t [laughter]

in other news, you can now pre order the first single, Boy With a Coin from Sub Pop.

http://subpop.com/releases/iron_and_win ... h_a_coin_2

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:19 am

Billboard wrote:Beam says the new album has a 'wider sonic palette' than anything he's previously released. Among the guests are Calexico's Joey Burns and Paul Niehaus, Tin Hat Trio accordionist Rob Burger and Califone's Brian Deck. 'There's some waltzes, reggae-influenced stuff and some straight-up West African highlife music,' he says, the latter style of which crops up on 'House by the Sea.'

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 am

When soft became the new loud...

NPR.org wrote:NPR.org, September 29, 2007 - When soft became the new loud in indie circles a few years ago, Iron and Wine quickly stepped ahead of the pack as the most arresting of the whispery new-folk artists. Led by the gentle-voiced Sam Beam, the group makes morose and mysterious music, with impressively layered harmonies and the barest instrumentation. Hear the band in a full concert, recorded live from Washington, D.C.'s 9:30 Club, on Sept. 29.

Iron and Wine is on tour in support of its new CD, The Shepherd's Dog, a significant departure from the group's previous work. The cozy creakiness of such earlier albums as The Creek Drank the Cradle and Our Endless Numbered Days has been replaced by much denser studio production. It's a forgivable evolution in Beam's move from scratchy home recordings to a larger stage.

The newer songs of Iron and Wine are still steeped in southern lore with brooding tales of love, violence, infidelity and religion. But The Shepherd's Dog largely abandons Iron and Wine's more traditional acoustic folk sound for a surprising mix of worldly beats, blues and psychedelic rock.

Sam Beam started out as a film instructor in the late '90s in Miami, Fla. He wrote and recorded songs in his spare time and started getting attention when his basement tapes found their way to the indie label Sub Pop. In 2002, Sub Pop released 12 of Beam's songs on a collection titled The Creek Drank the Cradle. It was followed by 2004's Our Endless Numbered Days, as well as the Woman King EP and a collaboration with Calexico titled In the Reins.

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:51 am

Return to “Iron & Wine”