The Gospel According To Sam Beam

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

The Gospel According To Sam Beam

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:58 pm

I think I probably saw the best concert of my life last night - a sold out Iron & Wine show. I arrived early and made friends with the girl I sold an extra ticket to. I found a spot on the floor right at the stage, sat down and drank my beer waiting and looking at the other Iron & Wine fans around me. All ages, a guy in dreads, indie kids, etc.

My newly made friends saved my spot as we kept ordering more beer (and spilling it on the floor). That was a huge perk. In the past when I've gone to shows alone, either I get a great spot and can't leave to get more beer, or if I get another beer I lose my perfect spot. I'm gunna try to make more friends if I go to another show alone.

After the opening act from San Francisco, I was expecting a full band to come out but instead the stage was cleared and out walked Sam. I told him I had seen him last year and he saw that I was wearing an older concert t-shirt of his. It was old school acoustic Sam Beam all night!

People all around me were smoking joints and Sam's first words were, "It smell like Amsterdam in here" as the crowd roared in cheers and laughter. Faces rosy, fans singing along and drinking, it was a magical night. With all of us standing, people kept bumping into their empty beer bottles on the floor beneath us. He sang so many of his old songs. Me and my newly found friends kept shouting out our favourite oldies. Sam had a big smile on his face several times that night. When he played Boy With A Coin, the entire audience was foot stomping and clapping and he was impressed with us. Near the end of the show people starting passing out one at a time. He would stop mid-song to ask if they were okay. It was either the pot, the beer, the heat in the venue, or a gospel revival. It was like we were one big family sitting around the campfire and Sam was taking care of us. He was pretty impressed that we sang along to so many songs too!

I've been basking in the afterglow all day today and found this great quote that sums up the music of Iron & Wine.

Glen Elkins wrote:In my best interpretation, Beam's mantra seems to say "live passionately, while acknowledging that it all will end; furiously live with one weary eye on the grave."

the soviet
Contributor

Re: The Gospel According To Sam Beam

Unread postby the soviet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:31 pm

It is hard to get into this band for me, but i am interested to a thorough degree. i want to, but it is hard. I wish i could have been there for the show. It sounds amazing.

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:32 pm

Start with Passing Afternoon and Upward Over The Mountain

musicmonkey
Founder