Concerts you went to in the 80s and early 90s

Mainstream pop and rock music discussions
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Concerts you went to in the 80s and early 90s

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:30 am

Okay, I should preface this with the fact that I was raised Mennonite. "Rock music" and "movies" were forbidden (along with smoking, drinking, dancing, etc). So I was a super late bloomer (sheltered childhood). The first concert I saw was Madonna's Who's That Girl Tour in Seattle, WA. Yes, I admit it :( I didn't tell my parents I was going. A highschool friend and I borrowed my parents car and drove to the US by ourselves. I think I was 16. I was terrified but also excited. I didn't even know how to get to Seattle but we had a map and asked lots of people for directions. We got home very late and I filled the car up with gas hoping my parents didn't notice the mileage on their car. I don't think they ever mentioned anything to us. The concert was a strange experience for me. We were in nosebleed section so we just saw a speck on the stage. They didn't have all the fancy technology they have today, so for all we know it could have been an Madonna impersonator. Haha. Anyway, I didn't know how to dance or anything back then and although I tried to dance a bit, I got super embarrassed and didn't do much more than swing my hips in the bleachers. I was such a shy, awkward teenager.

I guess the next major concert I went to was Depeche Mode in Vancouver on their Violator tour. It was also one of the first times I ever did acid (yes, the LSD kind). That was such a crazy night. The band went to the local goth club that I frequented (Luv-a-fair) after the show and I got to see them up close. David Gahan had a harem of girls (and bodyguards) around him and the dude with the bleached hair was dancing on the speakers by himself. I vaguely remember crashing at one of my friend's apartment downtown. It was a regular "flop house" of sorts for us kids to just crash at after a night of partying. I remember countless weekends with complete strangers crashed on the beds, couches and floors of that place. We were so stoned, we even tried following Depeche Mode's limousine in a friend's car until the limo driver outsmarted us.

I also saw one of Sarah McLachlan's first concerts ever. It was in 1988 in Vancouver and she didn't have much of her own material so she did Peter Gabriel covers at The Town Pump (sadly, now a dance club). I also saw every one of her concerts in Vancouver after that until Lilith Fair ended. That's when I lost interest in her and it's also when she started selling out huge arenas.

Then there was the Cocteau Twins concert with Galaxy 500. I mentioned it in another thread. I was super baked with a friend and can't remember much.

Oh and then there was the Escape From New York tour with Debbie Harry. I had a real 9-5 office job back then and it was on a Friday night. I got off work at 4pm and dropped acid with a work friend. We were higher than a kite when we go to the outdoor venue and I don't remember much, other than necking with an older married woman that I worked with who died that weekend by choking on her own vomit (she was an alcoholic and took too many of those anti-alcohol pills). I don't think I've ever gotten over her death. It was the first time anyone I knew (other than my grandparents) died. So on Monday morning when I was sober and back at work, I never got to see her again. All weekend I was worried about what it would be like to see her at work after necking with her on acid.

What else? Um, oh, I went to Lalapalooza but never paid. I think I just stood outside the gates with many other people who didn't have tickets. It was outdoors. I also saw Moby (with Nelly Furtado before she sold out) at an outdoor venue but again didn't buy tickets. I just watched and listened from outside the gates.

As the 90s came to a close, I had lost interest in mainstream bands and big venues and started going to much smaller shows by local bands and smaller indie bands. I've kept every concert ticket I've ever bought so I'll have to dig them up some time and see if there's anything else worth mentioning.

How about you? Share your first few concert experiences....

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Re: Concerts you went to in the 80s and early 90s

Unread postby scottfinn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:40 am

In no particular order, but all in the 80s:

Nina Hagen, w/ Big Black (Nina is a German punk diva)
Adam Ant w/ The Romantics
Culture Club
Cyndi Lauper (twice)
The Go*Gos (twice), once w/Scandal
U2
Phil Collins

I still enjoy concerts, but don't go often. Most recently, due to my wife's obsession with him, I have seen John Mayer twice. Once with Mat Kearney and once with Ben Folds & Brett Dennen. We are going for the third time in July, and this time Brett Dennen returns, along with Colbie Caillat. Both of them are pretty awesome.

Return to “Popular Music”