Jon Foreman's solo releases

Mainstream pop and rock music discussions
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Jon Foreman's solo releases

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:04 am

Christianity Today wrote:No need to read too much into Jon Foreman releasing a series of solo EPs; he has no intention of disbanding Switchfoot. But like other prolific songwriters who release side projects, Foreman has several songs that would be out of character for the band to record—softer and more intimate than his more rocking material. So with the blessing of his band and the encouragement of fans, Foreman has developed a 4-part EP series, each named after one of the four seasons. Though available for individual digital download, the songs are also available as a physical release through EMI's Credential Recordings, bundling them into 2-disc sets. The first is Fall and Winter, with Spring and Summer expected to release later in 2008....

The other noticeable quality is Foreman's clear-cut Christian lyricism. Those who have previously accused Switchfoot of "burying the message" won't be able to here. Perhaps Foreman has regained freedom to express himself since this was not recorded for a mainstream label. Yet Foreman never comes across as contrived or towing the line for the faithful. Instead, it's relatable, honest, and at times, gut-wrenchingly broken, to the point where parts of Fall and Winter can seem downright depressing....

Fall
1. The Cure for Pain
2. Southbound Train
3. Lord, Save Me from Myself
4. Equally Skilled
5. The Moon Is a Magnet
6. My Love Goes Free

Winter
1. Learning How to Die
2. Behind Your Eyes
3. Somebody's Baby
4. White as Snow
5. I Am Still Running
6. In Love

Before I rushed off to work tonight, I copied this song to my mp3 player. After work I stood and waited in the freezing cold waiting for my bus. I was watching the vacant stares of other pedestrians all plugged into their mp3 players and waiting with me in the cold. Everybody stood equal distances apart in their isolation, in the darkness, in the grip of cold, in the unfriendliness of night, in the fear of the lonely cruel city.

This song was on repeat as I observed the isolation we all live in. Waiting, waiting, waiting, for something to take us to our permanent home.

Jon Foreman in Equally Skilled wrote:How miserable I am
I feel like a fruitpicker who arrived here after the harvest

There's nothing here at all
There's nothing at all here that could placate my hunger

The godly people are all gone
There's not one honest soul left alive here on the planet

We're all murderers and thieves
Setting traps here for even our brothers

And both of our hands are equally skilled at doing evil
Equally skilled at bribing the judges
Equally skilled at perverting justice
Both of our hands
Both of our hands

The day of justice comes
And is even now swiftly arriving

Don't trust anyone at all
Not your best friend or even your wife

For the son hates the father
The daughter despises even her mother

Look! Your enemies are right
Right in the room of your very household

And both of their hands are equally skilled at doing evil
Equally skilled at bribing the judges
Equally skilled at perverting justice
Both of their hands
Both of their hands

No, don't gload over me
For though I fall, though I fall
I will rise again
Though I sit here in darkness
The Lord, the Lord alone
He will be my light.

I will be patient as the Lord
Punishes me for the wrongs I've done against Him

After that He'll take my case
Bringing me to light and to justice for all I have suffered

And both of His hands
Are equally skilled

And both of His hands are equally skilled at ruining evil
Equally skilled at judging the judges
Equally skilled administering justice
Both of His hands
Both of His hands are equally skilled
At showing new mercy
Equally Skilled at loving the loveless
Equally Skilled administering justice
Both of His hands
Both of His hands

tcogbijn
Contributor

Re: Jon Foreman's solo releases

Unread postby tcogbijn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 pm

I really enjoy Switchfoot's music. I randomly pick up an album from them when I reminisce about the 'Beautiful Letdown'. I went to a concert to see him and while he was about to sing 'This is your life, are you who you wanna be?', I raised my hands in the air. Nobody had their hands up around me and I felt like he wanted to reach out to the audience. I honestly didn't think he was going to hop onto the miniwall tho that divided the audience and stage but he did. He grabbed my hand while singing to me and my niece for a few moments. It really impacted me because I have not met so many goals in my life and it was like a motivation to press on. I know that it sounds corny but it really affected me since I believed that it is one of his greatest songs.

Last album I picked up was 'Oh Gravity.' I loved that song (Oh Gravity!) but the rest of the songs hadn't impacted as strongly. Not bad, overall...just he's had a very tough act to follow after 'Beautiful Letdown.'

Also, one of Jon's older songs, Only Hope from "New Way to be Human" is really moving...

"So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only Yours
I pray to be ony Yours
I know now You're my only hope..."

I haven't heard those new releases. The lyrics are intense. Are they worth the purchase?

John

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:54 am

I have the Fall and Winter CD's---but I don't have the Spring and Summer--

The Fall CD to me is alot better than Winter------then again I havent heard Winter in awhile so I might need to give it a second chance but from first listen Fall really won me over--

I heard from somewhere that he is going to let his fans choose which songs they thought were the best from all 4 Season EP's and put it on one album---

So that should be interesting!!

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm

I have them all now but don't play them much. I was more into Switchfoot around Learning To Breathe and The Beautiful Letdown era. The problem with Switchfoot is that even though they got signed to a major label and began getting MTV exposure, etc., their fans are so young so they only do "all ages" shows. I think Jon Foreman's voice is pretty trashed from all those years of singing at the top of his voice. I dunno, his Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer EPs aren't his best work. One thing I liked about old Switchfoot was that their songs had layered meanings. I'm not really big into in-your-face religious lyrics.

As for letting his fans pick the songs, I think his fan base is pretty much limited to church youth groups. If he wants a long term career in music, he's going to have to expand his fan base. Or, I suppose he could go full-on into CCM where even bad music sells albums in Christian bookstores. It's definitely a conundrum, I hope he doesn't cave in to CCM pressure.

I just had a look at his website and the venues he's playing on his solo tour are interesting. If he's doing cafes and restaurant lounges, those are small rooms.

8/10/2008 Hollywood, CA/ John Anson Ford Amphitheatre
8/11/2008 San Luis Obispo, CA / SLO Brewing company
8/12/2008 San Francisco, CA / Café Du Nord
8/13/2008 Santa Barbara, CA / Stateside Restaurant & Lounge

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:31 pm

I actually think his fanbase with his "solo" music is more adult wise than the band switchfoot---

I think I actually like him more solo than with Switchfoot---I never was really a fan untill "Beautiful Letdown" and then "Oh Gravity" I thought was just terrible and even the song Gravity gives me a headache---

I don't see Switchfoot going on to much longer---I think sooner than later he will go solo which I think he should do---he has a good voice think I think alot of times is over-shadowed by "noise"----

Return to “Popular Music”