When The Saints Go Marching In by Louis Armstrong

From negro spirituals to blues, soul, funk, jazz, rockabilly and country.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

When The Saints Go Marching In by Louis Armstrong

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:14 am

Oh, when the saints go marching in
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Lord I want to be in that number
When the saints go marching in

Recorded in 1938, this famous recording of Louis Armstrong and his jazz orchestra is nearly 80 years old. Back then, the western world didn't mind gospel jazz, even this apocalyptic hymn. Critically lauded, Porgy and Bess, the 1959 studio album by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong even contained two gospel numbers: Oh, Doctor Jesus and Oh Lawd, I'm on My Way!

How can this be so? Well, in the 4th Century, Christianity achieved unrivaled cultural dominance. "Constantine ushered in the era of the church-state partnership that would profoundly shape European society and culture for centuries to come. In the age of Christendom, the church occupied a central and influential place in society and the Western world considered itself both formally and officially Christian." - S. Michael Craven.

Today, the church no longer occupies a central place of social and cultural hegemony and the western world considers itself secular. Despite this, When The Saints Go Marching In continues to be played by jazz bands. Is gospel music overdue for a revival? With over 11 million views on YouTube, something tells me something's going on but I highly doubt the separation of church and state will be reversed in this present age of post Christendom. Hopefully, however, the internet will help revitalize old gospel, cause Lawd only knows, Christian radio ain't doing it. And to that end, I shall march on.

Return to “The Golden Age of Gospel Music”