Flawed Design [Stabilo]

An antidote to contemporary Christian music
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:43 pm

In Lent Talks: The Human Face of God, Jane Williams wrote:The Bible holds up this mirror, where we can all look, and see our own faces, merging into the faces of Abraham, David, Peter, James, Mary, and then all these faces blurring and clearing to show us the face of God.

None of this is accidental. It happens because God's 'face' is our pattern. The world is the way it is, and the human face is the way it is because of its creator. Although we have repeating patterns of human behaviour that mask our likeness to God and each other, God goes on and on, working patiently and inexorably to bring us back to that truthful mirror, in which we can see what we were made for. Left to ourselves, we go on seeing other people as different from ourselves, rather than seeing the family likeness. Left to ourselves, we worry that we are not actually enough like God, so we go around snatching the things we need – power, love, things that will help us to feel important and safe, not realising that all of these things are what God is trying to give us already.

God's patient process comes to its fulfilment in Jesus. It is as though God says, 'All right, your eyesight has got very bad, and you keep looking in all the wrong places. Let me help you. If you can't see that I made you to look like myself, why don't I come looking like you, and then surely you won't be able to miss it.'

If it is true to say that God made our human faces to reflect his own love, joy and care for the world, then learning to share that human face, learning to recognize it in ourselves and others, learning to see with God's eyes will make us human, as Jesus was human. To share that humanity, we have to learn to do without the masks, as Jesus did. How many different masks we seem to think we need – masks that make us powerful, invulnerable, beautiful, feared, acceptable, some that we have so deeply internalized that we don't even know that they are just masks. But the irony is that, without these masks, we are made in the image of God.

We can't recreate that image in ourselves by sheer force and determination, because that would be to create for ourselves another kind of mask. Instead, we have to keep looking at the only really human face we know, the face of Jesus. We have to gaze at it with intensity, and learn it by heart. We have to keep looking from that face to the faces around us, tracing the likeness, seeing the family resemblances. And God the Holy Spirit will work with us, turning us constantly towards the Son, who reflects the Father. The whole creation is waiting with bated breath, Paul tell us in Romans, to see us learning to be human, learning to share God's love for the world. The whole creation is longing to see God's human face in us.

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:13 am

So David and my buddy Mark went to see Stabilo tonight. It was the first concert the three of us attended together. David and I saw Stabilo about a year or two ago with some other friends. It was awesome, but the crowd was kinda lame. I chatted with 3 of the 4 band members after the show. Apparently their first show in Whislter last night was worse. I hope they come back to Vancouver after their cross-Canada tour when more of their fans actually know the lyrics. I'll probably go to Switchfoot again later this month. Their fans know how to rock Very Happy

PS - I got totally hit on by this young Indian woman in the smoking room. She loved my beard and long hair. I gave her my email Wink she asked me if I was "flavoured" haha! I told her this was my Iron & Wine look.

hslavid

Unread postby hslavid » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:39 pm

Yep. I went with Patch to the Stabilo concert last night (Tuesday). They are a great band with a lot of potential. I think they may become quite successful. The crowd was pretty quiet except at the end of every song, they clapped and cheered but thats about it. I wanted to clap along with some of the songs etc nobody (except Patch of course) seemed interested. Anyhow they were great but the band that followed (I think they were called Mobile) was much too loud (I know Im getting too old for this. Wink ) and the music just wasnt as good. I didnt stay too much longer.

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Yeah, Mark and I didn't stay much longer. Just long enough to finish my beer and get a sense of MOBILE. They aren't my thing, but I think it's cool that yet another Montreal-based band is doing as well as they are. There's a lot of talent coming from Mount Royal.

Check out One More Pill | Stabilo Fan Site.

hslavid

Unread postby hslavid » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 pm

Montreal is a Huge Cultural centre. They have a large Jazz festival in the summer time. I think it's the largest in Canada if not, North America. So it's no surprize there is some good talent coming out of that city. Of course Vancouver is a hub of great talent as well. Very Happy

Return to “Music from the fringes of faith”