The Prodigal Son of Jim and Tammy Faye

Discuss your favourite documentaries and historical films.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 am

One Punk Under God
http://www.sundancechannel.com/onepunk/

Sundance Channel wrote:Jay Bakker, the only son of TV evangelists Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Messner, is the subject of this six-part observational documentary series from World of Wonder, the producers behind the award winning THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE, and director Jeremy Simmons (TRANSGENERATION). Veteran of a troubled adolescence, tattooed and pierced Jay now preaches God's grace and unconditional love to an alternative non-denominational congregation in Atlanta, which meets in a working bar.

In the first episode, Jay recalls his childhood as he revisits the ghostly ruins of Heritage USA, his father's ambitious Christian theme park.

Has anyone seen this show on the Sundance Channel or watched the podcasts on iTunes?

catt
Major Contributor

Re: The Prodigal Son of Jim and Tammy Faye

Unread postby catt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 pm

my thoughts on jay baker so far

(as cut and pasted from a chat with david)

- he is kinda saying if you love God and your neighbor as yourself your prity much a good christian or at least a christian.
that's the top law, or the main message of Christ.

well whether he believes in salvation from sin or not i don't know, but he is not teaching it.
though the law is correct ...

what part is he leaving out?

here's the deal
the law is true, we must obey. but we often do not, so lies the problem. but Christ dies in our place, thus we are not to pay the price for our failings. that is the more complete message as far as i see it
he is not really wrong. he doesn't say anything "wrong", and his "social" opinions won't condemn him to hell, he is just leaving out a big part of the message Christ's message of salvation

what part is he leaving out?

Christ dying for us,
or at least i have not found it yet, but i looked. i even listened to his sermons.
i hated when his fathers show came on because is meant the end of Saturday morning cartoons Confused

Return to “Documentaries”