Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea

Discuss your favourite documentaries and historical films.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:59 am

where utopia and the apocalypse meet to dance a dirty tango...

I stumbled on this forthcoming documentary the other week called Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea and couldn't stop laughing when I watched the trailer.

It's only playing at a very few theatres in May 2007 so if you're the lucky one who gets to see it, I'd love your feedback. I've practically memorized the trailer already.

"Once known as the California Riviera, the Salton Sea is now called one of America's worst ecological disasters: a fetid, stagnant, salty lake, coughing up dead fish and birds by the thousands. Yet a few hardy eccentrics hang on to hope... through their perceptions and mis-perceptions, the strange history and unexpected beauty of the Salton Sea is revealed."

funguy
Contributor

Re: Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea

Unread postby funguy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:32 pm

musicmonkey wrote:where utopia and the apocalypse meet to dance a dirty tango...

I stumbled on this forthcoming documentary the other week called Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea and couldn't stop laughing when I watched the trailer.

i can see how it should be funny, but for whatever reason i found it really sad when i watched it just now. maybe it's because i grew up in so cal.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:10 pm

obviously the ecological disaster that resulted in the salton sea is tragic, but what i found humourous was the eccentric people who seem to love living there, despite the bleakness of the situation. my favourite lines from the trailer that crack me up every time are "the hotter the water, the better the fishing", the lady talking about how the water can heal skin problems, and the look on the woman's face as she talks about the smell.

so where did you grow up in so cal?

funguy
Contributor

Unread postby funguy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:55 am

musicmonkey wrote:so where did you grow up in so cal?

pasadena area, just east of los angeles, but still well within los angeles county.

i guess my thing is that those "eccentric people" are just typical californians to me, even after being away for 17 years. Very Happy

man, we used to go to a big boy scout campout at the salton sea every year...

Parke
Contributor

Unread postby Parke » Thu May 10, 2007 8:12 am

i guess to each his own. the intent of telling the stories of forgotten people and places is good, but the trailer doesn't entice me at all.

Return to “Documentaries”