The Leftovers 201 "Axis Mundi" Discussion

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

The Leftovers 201 "Axis Mundi" Discussion

Unread postby musicmonkey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Synopsis: A town that seems to have no disappearances becomes a new Lourdes and attracts lots of tourists. But all may not be as rosy as it appears to be.

That prologue was something else but I trust the writers and I'm sure it'll tie into everything later on. Metaphors abound with a snake and an Old Testament-style goat sacrifice.

So we're introduced to the compelling Murphy family with no original cast member in the episode until 40 minutes in when we finally see Matt Jamison. They're definitely making it clear that the Murphy's are central to the season's story and introducing us to a town filled with charlatans and spiritual seekers.

"The axis mundi (also cosmic axis, world axis, world pillar, center of the world, world tree), in certain beliefs and philosophies, is the world center, or the connection between Heaven and Earth. As the celestial pole and geographic pole, it expresses a point of connection between sky and earth where the four compass directions meet. At this point travel and correspondence is made between higher and lower realms." - Wikipedia

So given that this is a Lindelof show, one can probably suspect that otherworldly elements will come into play as they did in Lost. Given the title of this episode, the prehistoric prologue, and the shocking ending, I'd say that there's definitely something supernatural going on about that lake.

Return to “The Leftovers”