I Love You, Man

Discuss your favourite films.
TomGoatMan
Contributor

I Love You, Man

Unread postby TomGoatMan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm not normally one to rush out to see mainstream Hollywood flicks, but I was heartened by the reviews for I Love You, Man, and figured I'd check it out, then report back here (thinking some of you might be wondering about it too).

I enjoyed it! It may be the only mainstream movie I've ever seen that has the guts to portray men for the odd creatures we are. It may swathe some of its less comfortable truths in humor, but for the most part, it pulls no punches. Parts of the movie are downright hard to watch, even wince-worthy, but I found myself identifying or at least empathizing with the main character from start to finish. Even when the flick portrays a non male-positive character (Jon Favreau does an outstanding job playing the ultimate man-hating man) it does so with no apologies. I have to admire that. Paul Rudd, who portrays Peter Klaven (the central character) somehow manages to find dignity in manhood, even at its most undignified. Rudd has become a truly remarkable actor. Rashida Jones, the main love-interest, makes me love women all over again. She's soooooooooo beautiful, and so deeply human. And finally there's Jason Segel, the "man" in the "I Love You, Man" scenario. What a great character, one we've never truly seen before in mainstream cinema: the 100% Real Man who isn't afraid to need and affirm other men. He may swill beer and chase skirts, but he isn't an a**hole by any definition, and he doesn't even try to hide who he is.

In the final analysis, I'd say every guy deserves a Sydney Fife in his life. Surely, every guy needs one. Even if you haven't found yours yet, this funny and touching film will allow you to bask in his glow for a while.

TGM

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: I Love You, Man

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Nice review, Tom. Like most movies, I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. It's interesting to see this new genre of "bromantic comedies".

Return to “Movies”