Straight Outta Compton (2015) | How Generation X ignited a social revolution that is still reverberating today

Discuss your favourite films.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Straight Outta Compton (2015) | How Generation X ignited a social revolution that is still reverberating today

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Straight Outta Compton is a movie that tries to give us a glimpse at the injustices that inspired N.W.A.'s vitriolic sentiments. For a generation X'er like me, a nomad generation, the 1992 Los Angeles riots are forever ingrained in my mind.

I think the story of N.W.A. is still relevant today and could perhaps help to educate the younger millennial generation who, in many ways, have it better today because Generation X helped pave the way for change. Salon says, "For Generation Y, music is just what you listen to. For Xers, it defines who we are". And N.W.A. is no exception.

Are we there yet? No way. But soon the baby boomers who labelled us slackers and twentynothings will all be dead or retired and Generation X will finally be in the upper echelons of power holding the keys we've dreamed of holding our entire lives. But are we ready and do we actually want the keys or are we just glad we survived? Eitherway, the Dr. Dre's and Ice Cube's of the early 90s are starting to take over the jobs of Chief of Police around the world and in Compton which has changed for the better. Biography.com says, "Nowadays, Ice Cube is on the late-night circuit. Dr. Dre is a tech billionaire. And Compton is being hailed as the next Brooklyn."

I still have a dream and maybe the millennials, a hero generation, can help us get there. We've had it tough, we pushed for change, boomers didn't understand us, but we're resilient and strong today. But as the Noisey video above says, "You got cameras on your [police] cars... and you're still doing dumb stuff".

Here's the official movie description and trailer. Let's discuss.

"In the mid-1980s, the streets of Compton, California, were some of the most dangerous in the country. When five young men translated their experiences growing up into brutally honest music that rebelled against abusive authority, they gave an explosive voice to a silenced generation. Following the meteoric rise and fall of N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton tells the astonishing story of how these youngsters revolutionized music and pop culture forever the moment they told the world the truth about life in the hood and ignited a cultural war." - Universal Pictures

Return to “Movies”