They meant everything but the wind just carried them off

Mostly independent music, lyrics, bands, singers and songwriters.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Rocky Votolato's song White Daisy Passing is a song about reflecting on a past relationship and also letting go. Here's the music video for the song and this is how the song impacted me. Feel free to comment.

The chorus goes...

Please slow it down
There’s a secret magic past world
That you only notice when you’re looking back at it
And all I wanna do is turn around

Later he sings,

All those evenings on the back deck of our first apartment
And you can’t go back now, just a passing moment gone

I think this is a universal theme not only of failed romantic relationships, but any type of relationship including friendships and family. While we certainly can't turn around, for me it's a lesson to remember the past but also strive to live in the present and to cherish the good moments we have with others. Life is really just full of many small things that unfold hour-by-hour and day-by-day. I think we can easily miss things when we don't live in the moment or if we are never satisfied in the moments because they somehow don't meet our expectations of how we want them to be.

When we look back at our lives is often when we notice the important things. I think it's important to better be able to recognize the special times as they are happening, even if things don't seem perfect at the time. As we learn to live in the present may we also learn to let go of the past. All moments will come to an end eventually and no moment will ever be perfect. This world and every moment of our lives is lived in tension between what is and what could be. May we all learn this before our brief time here is over; may we learn to live a life of no regrets.

Return to “Indie Music”