Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

U.S. News & Politics
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Did anyone watch Obama and McCain with Rick Warren? I might watch the repeat tonight.

Here's an article about it: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... arren.html

musicmonkey
Founder

Re: Osama, McBush and Rick Warren

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:01 pm

I just finished watching the Obama portion. He needs to work on answering more quickly. I don't really think he's the best thing since sliced bread, but I think he has a genuine concern for bridge building both internationally and bipartisan and I can tell he has a heart for the poor and underprivileged. I actually got a little teary-eyed when McCain, Warren and Obama were all on stage at the same time. One of them's going to lead your country for the next 4 years. It's almost November, kids :)

By the way, if you want immigration information on Canada in the event your candidate does not win, feel free to message me lol

musicmonkey
Founder

Re: Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am

Okay, I watched the John McCain part too.

He definitely answers more quickly than Obama which I liked. Straight to the point.

I think he gave a more heartfelt answer to what it means to be a Christian than Obama. But then again, war stories are always going to be more heartfelt. War is ugly.

On the issue of abortion, while I agree with McCain that human rights start at conception, I also am fully aware that we live in a post-Christian society and trying to reverse Row vs. Wade would make about as much sense as making adultery illegal. It's going to happen whether there's a law about it or not. This is where I agree wholeheartedly with Obama about focusing on reducing abortion. The right wing seem over-concerned with the unborn at the expense of neglecting the newborn. I wish more Christians had a heart to reduce abortion, improve adoption, and offer a stronger support system to low income single mothers. A bipartisan approach to abortion is overdue.

On the issue of "evil", while I agree that sending mentally handicapped people into public places and detonated them is evil, both McCain and Bush don't seem to understand that evil is inside all of us, tugging at us every day. Evil will never be eradicated because we are all sinners. Killing Osama won't solve the problem.

Ultimately the family and even the community at large raises a child. I really worry about Osama 2.0 - the generation of kids who have been growing up during the Invasion of Iraq and subsequent civil war in Iraq. I don't think we've even begun to see the damage cause by the "you're either with us or against us" mantra of Bush and while I don't think Obama's going to change the world, I hope he will begin bridge building again with other countries.

He needs to work on being more succinct, though. I also think he needs to be a bit more direct. I think right now he's so concerned with alienating any of his supporters or potential supporters and hope that if he wins, his talk becomes major action on the international stage.

Once the election is over, I think the only major change we'll notice is that during the Bush years and bi-partisan frenzy leading up to Election '08, China has risen.

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Unread postby scottfinn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:48 pm

The right wing seem over-concerned with the unborn at the expense of neglecting the newborn. I wish more Christians had a heart to reduce abortion, improve adoption, and offer a stronger support system to low income single mothers

Abortion is the hot button issue, but what do you know about what the "right wing" actively do related to adoption and support of single mothers? I know personally of some people that have a heart for babies and moms, conception to self-sufficiency. Abortion is the lightning rod issue, but it is not the only issue that the right wing cares about.

Killing Osama won't solve the problem.

But killing him, or capturing him (which I'd prefer), would begin to put some closure on this drawn-out manhunt and would instill a feeling that some justice is being carried out. And Obama really failed in his answer on evil, focusing on "the streets of our country". He's the first to blame the USA for evil. Also, I don't think either of them think that they will eradicate evil. Obama will do nothing to secure our borders and bring the soldiers home. We'll need those soldiers here, for sure, when the terrorists continue to penetrate the porous borders, since Obama won't let our military work on reducing the terrorist population in other places. Yes, there can always be more of them, but our presence in their sandbox is helping to keep them out of ours.

Re Obama:
I think right now he's so concerned with alienating any of his supporters or potential supporters and hope that if he wins, his talk becomes major action on the international stage.

Exactly right. He's trying to be all things to all people, which is basically impossible. He's in a church, talking about how determining when civil rights begin is "above his paygrade." Oh, really? But he wants to be President of the United States. Does that job change his paygrade? Do we get to hear his true feelings, out loud in public only then? He's afraid to take a position. If he just keeps talking about obtuse "change" until November, he figures he can squeeze through the election, and then it will be too late for all of us when his true colors show.

Fortunately, some of his true colors are already showing.
http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=OTM0YjY4OGJmMmNmZTg5NTU5ZjA1MTFmOTgxMjgzYmI=

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20080228_The_Elephant_in_the_Room__Obama__A_harsh_ideologue_hidden_by_a_feel-good_image.html

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm

EgOshAkE wrote:He's in a church, talking about how determining when civil rights begin is "above his paygrade." Oh, really? But he wants to be President of the United States. Does that job change his paygrade?

I think that was an adequate response. He's not qualified in science or interpreting the law, etc. That's why governments appoint advisers, etc.

EgOshAkE wrote:Abortion is the lightning rod issue, but it is not the only issue that the right wing cares about.

And pro-choice is not the only view held by the left wing. See: http://radiofreedenver.blogspot.com/200 ... 95-10.html I think that putting systems and policies in place that reduce abortion will have a greater long-term impact. Part of that process would ideally involve a bipartisan approach including faith-based initiatives.

And expanding on that. The Bible states in Leviticus 19:14: "You shall not curse the deaf nor place a stumbling block before the blind". I believe that this not only applies to the physically blind, but the spiritually blind. Many people are blind to their need for Christ - "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." We can't blame the world for its inability to understand sin, we have to help them and each other not to stumble. I am personally convicted by 1 John 1:6 "If we claim that we have fellowship with him but keep living in darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth."

I think that offering financial assistance to low income women, improving accessibility of adoption, etc. are good places to start. If a young teenage girl knows that her baby will have daycare, food, and clean diapers, maybe she'll think twice about having an abortion. Likewise, if a drug addict knows they can get free clean needles in a safe environment with no risk of being arrested, they will be less likely to reuse dirty needles and contract HIV/AIDS. I also think that women who want an abortion should at least be advised of their option to see their baby on ultrasound and/or be provided with the opportunity to watch "The Silent Scream" at the clinic. Though few will probably take that option, I think they should be legally required to be given that option.

And looking at the bigger picture, we are living in a time where most people are children of divorce. I was just watching this news piece on a new curfew in Hartford, Conneticut for teenagers. If caught out after dark, on their first offense, the police will drive them back to their parent(s). I think a better approach is getting the parent(s) involved in their children's lives and make the parent(s) pick them up from the police station. Many of the problems today with drugs, abortion, broken relationships, gangs, and violence stem from absent parents. And this brings me back to how important is to care for "the least of these". The government can only do so much and ultimately parents need to be parents and it takes an entire community to raise a child.

EgOshAkE wrote:He's the first to blame the USA for evil.

How did you come to that conclusion?

EgOshAkE wrote:Obama will do nothing to secure our borders and bring the soldiers home.

Meaning what? I don't think he's going to send every soldier in Iraq to Afghanistan. I think many will be "coming home".

Return to “United States”