Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

U.S. News & Politics
scottfinn
Major Contributor

Re: Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

Unread postby scottfinn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 pm

I think that was an adequate response.

It's a tap dance and he dodged the question. Period. Cowardly.

EgOshAkE wrote:He's the first to blame the USA for evil.
How did you come to that conclusion?

What I mean there is that he is more willing to blame the USA for global problems than anyone else.

EgOshAkE wrote:Obama will do nothing to secure our borders and bring the soldiers home.
Meaning what? I don't think he's going to send every soldier in Iraq to Afghanistan. I think many will be "coming home".

I think I mis-typed there. I meant that he will leave the borders in poor shape, and will bring all the soldiers home. Without remaining vigilant in the terrorist strongholds.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 pm

EgOshAkE wrote:he dodged the question. Period. Cowardly.

I guess one man's dodge is another man's caution. There's so many related topics to abortion from stem cells to the morning after pill to late term to if the mother's life is in danger, rape, etc.. I certainly don't feel qualified to give a moral response in every scenario and respect that he didn't just pretend to have all the answers in 30 seconds. It's complicated. Besides, Bush was pro life but he never did anything about abortion so why would you expect McCain to. If abortion is one of the main reasons you prefer McCain to Obama, I would ask that you to re-evaluate their entire platforms - one is more winsome than the other. And much of the pre-election talk is largely talk to win votes. Getting things passed in the Senate/Supreme Court, etc. isn't that simple. Red tape impedes many good intentions. McCain will face tremendous difficulty if he tries to reverse Rode vs. Wade and likewise, Obama will face tremendous difficulty if Iraq falls into chaos when he begins reducing the surge. I think very little change will happen regarding abortion or Iraq in the next 2 years with either candidate but at least Obama wants to restore international relations with countries like Syria, etc. Remember that the bridge building between Nixon and Mao changed the world for the better. Building bridges is a very good thing. If two parties are at a standstill, there can be no dialogue and ultimately no positive change, but things can escalate for the worse. Keeping the lines of communication open are essential.

EgOshAkE wrote:he is more willing to blame the USA for global problems than anyone else.

Can you provide and example of this? I've never heard him blame the states, however, I have heard him talk about how it will take many years to begin restoring that damage GWB has done regarding a complete disregard for international diplomacy. He did, however praise Bush for his efforts regarding HIV/AIDS.

EgOshAkE wrote:I meant that he will leave the borders in poor shape, and will bring all the soldiers home. Without remaining vigilant in the terrorist strongholds.

I've heard that the plans to bring many troops home but also re-direct troops from Iraq to Afghanistan where they are needed. Canada has been asking the states for more troops in Afghanistan for years. We're in Kandahar, the worst section, and we don't have enough helicopters so we are using land vehicles and keep getting hit by IEDs and roadside bombs. I think we just bought a few helicopters off the US military because it's safer to fly people and goods to remote villages than take vehicles. While improvements to roads, schools and infrastructure have been made, overall the situation in Afghanistan has worsened since the war started. It's on the news here far more than Iraq. But then again, unlike our sister, Australia, we were never in Iraq.

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Unread postby scottfinn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 am

musicmonkey wrote:one is more winsome than the other.

That's for sure. Forgive me if I am not looking for a winsome president.

American Heritage Dictionary
win·some (wĭn'səm) adj. Charming, often in a childlike or naive way.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:29 am

EgOshAkE wrote:I am not looking for a winsome president.

I'm sorry to hear it.

The American Heritage Dictionary wrote:Winsome people easily win friends, so it is not surprising that winsome and win have a common root. One was the prehistoric Germanic noun *wini- meaning "friend" (literally, "one who desires or loves" someone else)

Last time I checked, Jesus calls us to love others, especially the poor. I watched a preview of CNN's Reveal Obama documentary this morning and it's amazing what he did for the underprivileged in Chicagoland. I think he has a tremendous heart for the least of these.

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Unread postby scottfinn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:09 pm

You're going to need to look at more than CNN for news about Obama, if you want the full picture of His Royal Winsomeness. He's untested, and just as corrupt as any other Chicago politician. See Tony Rezko, for just a sample. He has a heart for power, just like all politicians.

Return to “United States”