Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

U.S. News & Politics
scottfinn
Major Contributor

Re: Obama, McCain and Rick Warren

Unread postby scottfinn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:31 am

Amazingly enough, I came across an article on the CNN/Time site that is not of the typical pro-Obama slant. And it points to some of my last post comments.

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/08/obama_brings_a_knife_to_a_gunf.html

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 am

The worst part of the election is the name calling and trying to dig up dirt on each other. Thankfully most of those ads don't run in Canada, although occasionally one will slip by the system. All of our television is filtered here so even if we're watching a Seattle station, we get Canadian commercials. You're absolutely right that all politicians want power. If you're looking for a saint in either Obama or McCain, you won't find one. At this point, it's the lesser of two evils.

Anyway, I hope Obama and his campaign people don't stoop to mud slinging. We all have done things in the past we regret and if you really wanna go there, let's talk about Cindy's drug past, the failure of McCain's first marriage, how he doesn't know how many houses and condos they own, how he thinks a rich person is someone who makes 5 million or more, and perhaps most importantly, his volatile temper. Do you really want the leader of your country to be prone to flying off the handle?

To me, the most important issue is are you going to continue to damage your international relations or start bridge building and are you going to increase troops in Afghanistan.

I don't really care what you guys do about your own medical system or whether you want to drill in Alaska, although if you start drilling in Alaska I don't want to see any extra pipelines going through BC and I don't want to see any more Exxon Valdez-types of oil spills anywhere near BC's coast.

And I would like to see your lower and middle classes treated fairly. You have the highest incarceration rate in the world and already need to have curfews for teenagers in Hartford, Connecticut to curb violence. Boys there think manhood is having and using a gun. Children are killing children in your own backyard. It would be nice to see you start dealing with the social ills in your country, largely due to socioeconomic inequality. Remember that unbridled capitalism is a theology without a morality. The rich will always want their cake and eat it too. Or to quote Sarah McLachlan's World on Fire, "A fortune of one means less for some". Check out: http://www.sojo.net/blog/voteoutpoverty/

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Good ole Rick Warren--

Alot of people got mad at Rick Warren because he was letting Obama and McCain into the church----church isnt about politics they say---

and I think they are wrong------

I think we as Christians do need to stand up for what is right and what is wrong-----

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm

EgOshAkE wrote:He's in a church, talking about how determining when civil rights begin is "above his paygrade."

Obama wrote:What I intended to say is that, as a Christian, I have a lot of humility about understanding when does the soul enter into ... It's a pretty tough question. And so, all I meant to communicate was that I don't presume to be able to answer these kinds of theological questions

I knew this is what Obama meant by that all along. He wasn't trying to be flippant.

Biden wrote:I'm prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception. But that is my judgment... For me to impose that judgment on everyone else who is equally and maybe even more devout than I am seems to me is inappropriate in a pluralistic society

And I agree with Biden. We can't deny that we live in a pluralistic society. Everyone will have differing opinions on things like abortion, gay marriage, and drilling for oil in Alaska's wildlife refuge, among other things. The challenge is how can competing opinions, worldviews, and religious persuasions all get along. We all know that smoking causes cancer, but not everyone is going to smoke. There are laws prohibiting where we can smoke and at what age people can buy cigarettes, etc. I think the same mentality must be taken regarding other issues. Gay people getting married isn't infringing on anyone else's rights and maybe "responsible" oil drilling is the middle ground. As for abortion, while I believe life starts at conception, there are many who do not share my belief. Once we start imposing our beliefs we run the risk of becoming a totalitarian theocracy. Plus, the last time I checked, laws have never changed one's heart about matters. When was the last time you slowed down for a radar trap? Did you slow down because of your heart or because of the law? God is concerned with our hearts in every matter.

In Matthew 5:21-22, Jesus wrote:You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER ' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26593948/

Return to “United States”