Healthy diet and longevity, natural remedies, and more...

From going green to spending wisely and living more simply.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Healthy diet and longevity, natural remedies, and more...

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 pm

I wanted to see if I could get a thread going on healthier eating. I know many of us have aging parents and some of us have lost our parents already. It's never too late to make drastic changes to our diet. Twenty years ago, my father was overweight and unhealthy. He had a few health scares and had to be hospitalized. He chose to educate himself and make dietary changes. He received his diploma in homeopathy and is a great source of wisdom and motivation for me and my family. Here are some basic tips to get started...

Eat raw foods whenever possible
Avoid all white flours
Avoid red meat
Avoid white rice (brown is good)
Make fresh vegetable juice (include the peels)
Dark red fruit and vegetables have the most anti-oxidants (blueberries, beats, etc.)
Drink lots of water

If any of you want to make changes to your own diet or help someone you love get healthier, it would be great if we could resurrect these forums again and continue this thread....

Hope to hear from some of you :)

bareskin73
Contributor

Re: Healthy diet and longevity, natural remedies, and more...

Unread postby bareskin73 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

several years ago I started really paying attention to how different foods effected me. I started eliminating foods that had an adverse effect on me while adding foods that made me feel better. Over time and slowly but surely I had moved to a mostly vegetarian diet. About that time the book "eat right for your blood type" came out. Which really didn't do me any good because I had already done what it suggested. lol But it did give me a little extra confirmation that I was on the right track for me personally.

Daniel

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:13 pm

so what is a typical meal for you these days? i started a garden this year with some friends.... tomatoes, peppers, basil, mixed greens, beets, strawberries, peas, and a few other things not doing so well...

bareskin73
Contributor

Unread postby bareskin73 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Typical meal? LOL, there is nothing typical about my diet. Actually, I drive a truck over the road so there really isn't anything typical, but I do rely heavily on subway. They make a great vegitarian sandwhich. Jimmy Johns makes an even better one except for they use white bread, however I don't get to get a JJ very often because I've never seen one anywhere near a truckstop. Whole grains, vegtables and fruit make up the most of my diet with a few nuts, dairy and eggs thrown in from time to time.

Return to “Money & Home Stuff”