Eating out vs. cooking at home

From going green to spending wisely and living more simply.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Eating out vs. cooking at home

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:59 am

1. How often do you eat out vs. cook at home?

I might eat out for one meal a week (not counting $2 pizza slices and the occasional fast food burger), but other than that I'm always cooking. When I eat out, it's usually either sushi, appetizers, or the occasional lunch. I probably only eat a $15 - $20 dinner in a restaurant 1-2 times per year. If I'm working away from home all day, then I'll go out for lunch, usually Chinese food ranging from $5 - $7. I'll get coffee from Starbucks or similar places probably 2 times per week at $1.75 - $2 each. I also get half a dozen take-out veggie samosas every now and then and put them in the fridge when I get home. They make good snacks.

2. How much of your food at home is prepared or ready-made?

Very little for me. Sometimes I'll buy cakes or stuff from the bakery. I never buy microwaveable meals. I might get frozen breaded fish sticks and a case of Kraft Dinner once a year. But pretty much everything I prepare myself, other than bread. In the winter, I buy canned soups more often.

3. What do you normally drink at home?

I'll make 1 or 2 iced lattes or lattes daily (with whole milk). Other than that, I mostly drink water or orange juice. In the winter I drink more tea. I might buy a case of no name cola once every few months. I don't drink much cola. Even when I have the odd fast food burger and fries, it's usually with tap water. I guess my major beverage luxury is good beer.

4. What do you pay for a 4 litre (1 gallon) jug of milk?

For me, it's $4.36

5. What do you cook most often?

For me, it would be home-made pizzas, spaghetti with meat sauce, sweet 'n sour meatballs with rice, home made beef or chicken burgers, teriyaki chicken with rice, stirfry, salads, chicken or bean curries, baked potato wedges, roast beef and garlic mash, baked chicken with veggies/potatoes/stuffing/gravy, home made soups, grilled cheese sandwiches, salsa, humus, and guacamole.

Hank
Major Contributor

Re: Eating out vs. cooking at home

Unread postby Hank » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:29 pm

How often do you eat out vs. cook at home?

We eat out very little. I love to cook plus I want my children to have a balance in their diets.

I have to lean towards 30/70 scale here. I do have micro wave food here for when the kids come home from school if i'm in a rush but i'd rather cook. I cook more than zap.

Milk, pop, tea, coffee and Juices.

12 or 14 dollars...I always buy more than two gallons of milk. :lol: (4 something.)

Chicken probably the most. I like to explore new dishes... now that I cook all the time, i'm getting GOOD... KFC eat your heart out! Paula Dean rocks.

the soviet
Contributor

Unread postby the soviet » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:58 pm

How often do you eat out vs. cook at home?

I might eat out once or twice a week. I don't buy food on campus really and i work at a grocery store so i bring my own or make something there. If i do eat out it is taco bell when i get the beer munchies. hehe-

I make about 70% of the food i eat, but i also mostly eat sandwiches or ramen. wait, does ramen count? I mean i cook it. I have also convinced the girlfriend to start cooking for me so that helps too.

Water, coffee, cola, wine and beer. naked juices when they are out of date at work.

Nothing, i don't buy milk, but the joke is always that milk is like slightly higher than gas always. Shoppers love bringing that up.

Noodle dishes with fresh veggies. I like grilling ham and cheese sandwiches and quesadillas. Chicken is a regular too.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

the soviet wrote:naked juices when they are out of date at work.

are they free then?

thanks for heeding my prodding and posting :)

Return to “Money & Home Stuff”