How much do you pay in rent/mortgage?

From going green to spending wisely and living more simply.
beaker
Contributor

Re: How much do you pay in rent/mortgage?

Unread postby beaker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:47 pm

musicmonkey wrote:Where in SW Ontario do you live? London? Stratford? Windsor? GTA?

We are about midway between London and Toronto. The city is called Kitchener

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:54 pm

beaker wrote:We are about midway between London and Toronto. The city is called Kitchener

I have a friend going to the University of Guelph nearby. Is Kitchener-Waterloo still considered part of the GTA or the Golden Horseshoe?

beaker
Contributor

Unread postby beaker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 pm

musicmonkey wrote:
beaker wrote:We are about midway between London and Toronto. The city is called Kitchener

I have a friend going to the University of Guelph nearby. Is Kitchener-Waterloo still considered part of the GTA or the Golden Horseshoe?

KW is too far out of Toronto to be referred to as part of the GTA, and though I haven't heard of it being termed the Golden Horseshoe, along with Cambridge we have been known as the Golden Triangle

funguy
Contributor

Unread postby funguy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:58 pm

neilinphilly wrote:There are tax breaks for mortgage interest, but there is unexpected maintenance too. Over the past three years, I replaced the entire sewer line and had the basement waterproofed for about $11K. I also just spent $2500 on new doors and a patio.

The interior of my house is still white too. I can pick the colors, but it takes a lot to get motivated to start the task of painting!

all it really takes is a wife, neil -- i never painted a single wall in my house until after i got married. as for the basement waterproofing, i feel your pain. i paid big $$ to have that done in our old house, and the thought of doing it again in the new (to us) one doesn't sit well with me at all.

neilinphilly
Major Contributor
Quote: Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out

Unread postby neilinphilly » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:37 pm

funguy wrote:all it really takes is a wife, neil -- i never painted a single wall in my house until after i got married.

That's true, Ed. It's so cool how a woman can make a house so homey. Most of my tips/ideas for decorating have come from my female friends.

When I rented a place in a apartment building, there was a full-time maintenance staff. If something were broken, it just took a call to the office and the next night when I'd return from work, it was fixed. Oh man, I long for those days!

Return to “Money & Home Stuff”