How much do you pay in rent/mortgage?

From going green to spending wisely and living more simply.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: How much do you pay in rent/mortgage?

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 pm

neilinphilly wrote:It's so cool how a woman can make a house so homey.

Depends what you call homey. I find houses that look like Ikea showrooms to be terrifying. My idea of homey is where cr*p is everywhere and you don't have to worry about moving a sofa cushion. Scented candles are a nice touch near the litterbox though.

Hank
Major Contributor

Unread postby Hank » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm glad I stumbled on this topic. After reading what others pay a month I don't feel so bad. I pay 750 morgage. I have 3 bed rooms, 2 full bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen plus I have a work shop outside. What I don't understand is: Why city water and suage cost so darn much??? I have to pay 80 bucks even if I don't use the water nor city sewer. What a crock. I guess I should smile and just be happy.

Hank
Be careful what you ask for....You just might get it!

TomGoatMan
Contributor

Unread postby TomGoatMan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 pm

How much do I pay monthly in mortgage? It's absolutely terrifying. New York City and its immediate suburbs are completely unreasonable, almost untenable for anyone who isn't loaded. If only we hadn't started our lives here, put down our roots and built both career and personal relationships, I'd want to live almost anywhere else at this point. And yes, I do *heart* New York (or at least New York in the days before Rudy Giuliani and Carrie Bradshaw f*cked it up for everyone except tourists) but honestly, once my kid's in college, it's onto greener pastures.

I know things are bad everywhere right now. But I've seen what the cost of our modest house buys in other places along the East Coast, and it's staggering. Mansions. And yes I know, we'd also likely be earning less money in other parts of the country, but....well....I dunno. How long can you live in and out of big money before you start believing money's the most important thing in the world?

Long answer to a simple question, I know.
Simple answer: I'm not tellin'....but if this were a competition (which it's not) I'd be way at the head of the line here.

Tom

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:45 pm

I just watched Happy Go Lucky the other day. There's a scene where the older married sister is pregnant but unhappy and she's trying to convince her younger sister to get on the "property ladder" (i.e. stop renting and get a mortgage). The younger girl's response is pretty cute. I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say that money and mortgages don't make you happy. It's definitely nice not to worry about your next meal, but I think many people have forgotten that you can also cook your own meals and not eat out all the time. I view eating out as an entertainment expense and budget myself accordingly.

Return to “Money & Home Stuff”