Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

I.1 Law of Nature - Appealing to absolute truth in quarrels

Unread postby musicmonkey » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Mere Christianity
Book 1 - Right And Wrong As A Clue To The Meaning Of The Universe
Chapter 1 - The Law of Human Nature

In Chapter 1, C.S. Lewis makes note of a tendency in humans of appealing to a standard of absolute truth in quarrels and arguments. He calls this standard the Law of Nature or the Moral Law.

1. Looking back, have you ever used an appeal to absolute truth in your discussions with others?

Lewis also says that no human appears to be able to keep the Law of Nature at all times but if someone feels that they have, they are an exception and should not read the rest of the book.
  2. Do you think you are an exception?

hslavid

Unread postby hslavid » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 pm

In Chapter 1, C.S. Lewis makes note of a tendency in humans of appealing to a standard of absolute truth in quarrels and arguments. He calls this standard the Law of Nature or the Moral Law.

1. Looking back, have you ever used an appeal to absolute truth in your discussions with others?

You know I'm sure I have but I can't recall any of them. I ususally don't remember quarrels or arguments and tend to avoid them if I can. I can say that this "Law of Human Nature " is something all people will use at one time or another. Is it taught? I think in some ways it is but its also the understanding of whats right or wrong. Taking somebody's property would be wrong and most would agree, though some would try to justify the theft but deep down its still stealing.

Lewis also says that no human appears to be able to keep the Law of Nature at all times but if someone feels that they have, they are an exception and should not read the rest of the book.

2. Do you think you are an exception?

Certainly not! . I know I have at one time or another not kept this Law of Human Nature.
"All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23)

edchambers
Contributor

Re: Law of Nature - Appealing to absolute truth in quarrels

Unread postby edchambers » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:44 am

thE EvErglOw wrote:1. Looking back, have you ever used an appeal to absolute truth in your discussions with others?

I'm certain everyone has, at sometime or other, appealed to an absolute truth in conversation with others. The first thing that comes to my mind is any discussion concerning murder. I think most people would agree to some extent that murder is wrong. I'm not clarifying this statement in anyway; just the bare fact of one human being purposedully ending the life of another human being is wrong. Some might argue some sort of justification where murder might not be "wrong", such as capital punishment.
thE EvErglOw wrote:2. Do you think you are an exception?

I can't even imagine someone thinking they could be an exception. We are all sinners. We have all done something "wrong" at some point in our life, sometimes by choice.

-Ed Chambers

catt
Major Contributor

Re: I.1 Law of Nature - Appealing to absolute truth in quarrels

Unread postby catt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:30 pm

i too am no exception. i mean sometimes doing the wrong think feels good, and it even can be to my advantage. but its still wrong. i think anyone thinking the are an exception has a differing view of right and wrong. that does not make them sinless

Return to “Mere Christianity”