The Struggling creative industry

Fine arts, design, theatre and the performing arts.
Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

Re: The Struggling creative industry

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:36 am

David,

Something personal... sometimes I find Im like a martian among a bunch of earthlings within the cell group. I'm the only one in the creative industry. People just kept chatting about golf, latest stocks to buy/sell, latest price of propertys and etc.

When I ask them, how you felt today... esp to the brothers within the cell. They tends to flee from this topic.

I was tempted in the past to backslide. I think back on Joseph's example. His brothers reject him. For Jacob's sake, he persevere on.
"U lost the race when u start thinking about losing. So dun stop running!"

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:50 am

Van,

Thanks for all that. It'll take me a while to digest it all. I personally wouldn't lump suicide and homosexuality with murderers. There's plenty of heterosexual Christians who are also struggling with things like faith, life, and perhaps gambling, alcohol problems, cheating on their spouses, etc. I'll have to re-read your first reply tomorrow again. I do agree though that it's difficult to find a hug (never mind a prayer partner) these days. But I think that some lesbians might know Christ more than some heterosexual church people. Knowing Christ doesn't mean we're perfect. But the Bible says that if we move mountains and perform miracles without love, we do not know Him.

In response to your second reply, one thing I've learned is that friendship takes time... lots of time, many years sometimes. Just tonight I reconnected with an old friend that I had lost contact with for 15 years. He is married with children and lives very close to my parents. He invited me to his home and drove me to the bus stop later. It was very nice of him and it felt like time had stood still since we last saw each other. I think friendships like that are rare but they are out there. I think most people in the world today are afraid of being too serious about their lives with other people. It's a trust issue. Trust is so quickly eroded but takes a long time to build. Arguments or broken commitments often end friendships before they even begin to mature. I have found this in my own life. I am learning to cultivate the good things and avoid spending time with people who do not bring out the best in me. Some of my closest friends are not very creative. Creative people are often busy or unreliable. Many of them are just floundering through life too. I suppose the same can be said for accountants. The important thing is to love (and forgive) daily. None of us have "arrived".

Press on and be encouraged...

David

Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:01 am

For the second reply> You have some point there.

Good friends is not measured by time but by depth.

I think you and I would rather have a friend who know's you for just 3 years but knows you deep and transparent enough than a friend who you know for 15-20 years but knows you surface only.

The best example is the friendship between David and Jonathan. Not long but very deep.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:04 am

Sure, I'd rather have deep meaningful friendships with those I have known for 3 years rather than shallow ones I have known for 15 years. I have some friends I have known for 10, 15, or 20 years and they are not deep. My friend tonight though, he is a really nice guy. He's not a Christian, but I see Christ in him. I saw it tonight. He told me that whenever I visit my parents I should call him and he will drive me to the bus stop (20 minutes away by car). He's a very Good Samaritan.

He drove me to the bus stop tonight and then I got out of his truck but we kept talking for another 15 minutes. We had a very meaningful conversation and I shared with him some personal trials I have been going through lately. I am thankful that we reconnected again through Facebook.

Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:11 am

Yeah! Such friends should be treasured whether he/she is Christian or non-Christian.

I do experience such smiliar blessings before. Very Happy

I rather have more Barnabas and Jonathans than more Pauls.

Return to “Art & Design”