The Struggling creative industry

Fine arts, design, theatre and the performing arts.
Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

The Struggling creative industry

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:19 am

I realise in asia. I came across many asia singers, artists, designers and etc. Those who are Christians but they are struggling in their faith. I didn't know about the western side.
Most churches here don't gave much moral and emotional support on workers in the creative or entertainment industry.

Many of them are not regular church attender, due to their busy schedule. Despite that, I see there's still a invisible caste system. Doctors, lawyers and bankers are more embraced. if you are an artist, designer, musician... if are like an alien among the tribe.

Thats a very sad fact...
"U lost the race when u start thinking about losing. So dun stop running!"

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: The Struggling creative industry

Unread postby musicmonkey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:50 am

It's definitely the same here in Vancouver and probably other major North American cities.

It's interesting that you bring this topic up. I know quite a few people involved in the arts here in Vancouver as I am: singer/songwriters, filmmakers, graphic designers, web designers, photographers, fine artists, etc. and there definitely doesn't seem to be any unified sense of Christian support or community for us. There's definitely more support for the arts in the arts community of Vancouver which is itself very fractured and not supported well. One thing the City of Vancouver really needs is more funding for the arts and arts centers.

Most of the people I know are very busy and church hop when they have time. Some of them are in their own bands and also on church worship teams plus have day jobs. I am continuing to network with many of them. One thing I love about other artists is that they have similar struggles with faith and aren't afraid to ask the really tough questions.

I have, however, found a few churches here over the years that have annual art shows or seem to have limited support for the arts including:

- The Mosaic
- St. John's Shaughnessy
- Grace Vancouver

Great topic, by the way! I'm also glad to see you posting again, Van Smile

Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 am

I had realised this as well.

To be blunt and direct.... most churches embrac lawyers, doctors, bankers, property agents, stockbrokers and etc...because they had stable and high salary. Hence, they can give larger offerings. Sad

As for artists, musicians, dancers, designers, sculptors, and etc... they foucs more on the emotional world; execute their thoughts and emotions into the flesh by the various types of art or movement.

This is so so so sad that many christians from the creative and entertainment world left to outcasted and left out. When their soul is being attacked, there's no one to turn too except to fellow christian artists(if there is) or worse... just other non believer artist who they feel can understand them.

I realise its not just about having art shows, music concerts and etc at church or held by the church;though its good. The hearts or the soul of an artist is like a piece of glass. If not handle well, it can be easily shattered into a million pieces... Most church leaders are not very emotional available to handle such thing.

Thats why its so sad to see many brothers and even sister in Christ in the creative field facing high suicide rates and some turn into homosexuals.

I had a designer brother who's training to become a youth pastor ever told me that he said the the church on whole whether west or east, north or south. They focus a lot of the spirit; in prayers, tithes, offerings, fasting and etc.. A smaller amount are librarl in the body; lose restricting on the dresscode, personal grooming and etc. But the weirdest is in the soul. He agreed there's an inbalance in churches all around the world that the soul is forgotten or less paid attention on. That can be very dangerous.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:40 am

Shine for Christ wrote:most churches embrac lawyers, doctors, bankers, property agents, stockbrokers and etc...because they had stable and high salary. Hence, they can give larger offerings. Sad

i agree

Shine for Christ wrote:The hearts or the soul of an artist is like a piece of glass. If not handle well, it can be easily shattered into a million pieces... Most church leaders are not very emotional available to handle such thing.

i agree

Shine for Christ wrote:Thats why its so sad to see many brothers and even sister in Christ in the creative field facing high suicide rates and some turn into homosexuals.

why do you think that is?

Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:25 am

That issue was seen through conversation with friends of the industry and through books and magazine I browse through.

I had a Japanese friend who's not a artist. But he's a believer in Christ. Stress and depression grip on him. He told me he almost tempted to end his own life. I thank God for the divine timing that He put me into his life to inject some encouragement to him.

I don't know about the culture in the west. There's still different view in things between east and west. At here in Singapore, most people don't feel comfortable to express their emotions outwardly. Even if they manage to express out, its only some verbal expression. Hard to explain this...... Sad I see expressing your thought and emotion is not just words but also with actions. Actions can be a hug, a pat on the shoulder and etc. It's rare to see such stuff here.

During my days in the art acedemy, an artist turned into a lesbian as she felt her thoughts and emotion were not apprecatied or took noticed on people above her (eg: parents and leaders) but was appreciated by friends from the same sex and same industry.

As artists likes to express themselves, but there's an intangible, invisible chain thats not only in the family and EVEN at the church to stop them for pouring out their soul. Then, balloons(artists) start to gather their air within. Soon, the balloon will explode one day. It's not the matter when it explode but the impact of the explosion. The impact of explosion can be defined the final actions the person did; suicide, turn into homosexual or even commit murder.

I see pouring out of the soul both verbally and physically is so crucial. It's like letting go the air of the balloon bit by bit.

Its very rare to find Barnabas type of person nowadays. Imagine Barnabas is not around when Paul rejected John Mark into his ministry. What would John Mark had become now? It's easy to be stern, strict and go by the book like Paul but its equally rare to find a listening ear, an encourager, a caring and motivating person or friend like Barnabas.

When the emotional health is low, the person can be opened to wrong thoughts, wrong expressions or worse... wrong actions when allow the devil to chain them with curses on carnal sins.

Return to “Art & Design”