The battle: Integrating the Word into comics

Fine arts, design, theatre and the performing arts.

Levels of acceptance of the Word intergrated into the comics and animations world

Poll ended at Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:02 am

All the way is the best! Don't listen to the comments of men but listen to God!
50%
All the way is the best! Don't listen to the comments of men but listen to God!
50%
The Word still must be preserved word by word, phrase by phrase. But reduce the disturbing visions, despite it's described in the bible
No votes
The Word still must be preserved word by word, phrase by phrase. But reduce the disturbing visions, despite it's described in the bible
No votes
The Word still must be preserved by in a summarized form. Reduce the disturbing visuals part.
No votes
The Word still must be preserved by in a summarized form. Reduce the disturbing visuals part.
No votes
ersThe Word be summarized form. Follow to closely may scare away the readers and view. And no disturbing visuals strongly!!!
No votes
ersThe Word be summarized form. Follow to closely may scare away the readers and view. And no disturbing visuals strongly!!!
No votes
I don't support it. I don't drawing a biblical story in comics or animation will move the teens of this age. Unless it's compromised to their preferances.
No votes
I don't support it. I don't drawing a biblical story in comics or animation will move the teens of this age. Unless it's compromised to their preferances.
No votes

Total votes: 6

Shine for Christ
Major Contributor

The battle: Integrating the Word into comics

Unread postby Shine for Christ » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:02 am

Just for some opinion. Im blessed by the Lord for opening doors for me to become an animation pre-production artist in an international animation company.
I'm using the job to gather funds to publish my own asia biblical comic series.
Just for discussion...
- Do you think the teens and young adults back at your country will read a graphic bible? Imagine in manga style!
- Do those people group can tolerate vision blood and gore to deliver necesscary information. As I had interviewed some asian, quite a number of them were conservative about this. They are willing to compromise that by rejecting for these vision truths in order to see a more beautiful picture of the film, animation or comic. Personally, I feel sad about this. Any views on this also?
- Any further thoughts about the Word of God to be intergraded into the world through comics and animation?

edchambers
Contributor

The Bible - Graphically

Unread postby edchambers » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:28 am

I would have to say that you might be better off doing the full-blown graphic version. It would be no different than Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ". Yes, there will be some controversy and people who won't approve of it. But it would be a POWERFUL message, in my opinion.
Personally, I'm not a big manga and/or anime fan. I've been collecting comics now for about 2-1/2 years, mostly batman comics. Really loved Jim Lee's work on Batman.
I wish you the best in your endeavor. And more importantly, will pray that God will direct you and those around you to make this vision a reality.
-Ed Chambers, New Jersey, USA

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

manga?

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:33 am

I know what Japanese anime is, but what is manga?

edchambers
Contributor

manga defined

Unread postby edchambers » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:41 am

"Sometimes confused with anime, manga is the Japanese word for comic book (or Graphic Novel, if you prefer) and is used in English to mean Japanese comic books. Manga and anime are very closely related, as artists frequently crossover, as do the characters they create. Usually the manga is created first, and if it becomes really popular then the market it deemed capable of supporting a much more costly animation based on it."

-Ed Chambers

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:56 am

Thanks, Ed. There's lots of Chinese book stores where I live and it's a whole other world when I walk in there. Bubble tea and anime. Hey, that rhymes Very Happy

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" WIDTH=360 HEIGHT=300><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="/media/bubble_tea.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="/media/bubble_tea.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH=360 HEIGHT=300 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED></OBJECT>

Hold the tapioca balls in mine, please.

On a serious note, however...

Van Chen wrote:Do you think the teens and young adults back at your country will read a graphic bible?

I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you are talking about the USA, specifically or not, but Canada has a huge and growing asian population. I think The Matrix has really captured that Japanese-style fighting really well and I think an animation of the Bible might work. Did you see Prince of Egypt? I think something like that could work. I would love to see the sequel if there is one.

Van Chen wrote:Do those people group can tolerate vision blood and gore to deliver necesscary information.

For children, probably not. For adults, yes. Just look at The Passion of the Christ.

Van Chen wrote:Any further thoughts about the Word of God to be intergraded into the world through comics and animation?

Let me think about it. The Lord of the Rings is more metaphor than a re-telling of the Bible. I personally like analogies and metaphors.
Last edited by musicmonkey on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art & Design”