Game of Thrones Discussion (No Book Spoilers)

Discuss your favourite television shows.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Game of Thrones Discussion (No Book Spoilers)

Unread postby musicmonkey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Game of Thrones (GoT) is definitely one of the top shows in this new "golden age of television" but it's not for everybody. For me, it's ultimately a tale of power and conquest in a barbarian world that is often not kind to honourable people. If you're like me, you're rooting for the good characters and wishing some horrific death to befall the bad characters. But then there's characters that start off evil and transform into heroes. If you're like some of my friends, you're House Lannister all the way. There's lots to dissect here so I'll start with a few quotes to get us started. Please, no book spoilers.

"Martin’s world is filled with psychologically complex, broken, mortal, very-human characters. They feel far less like epic heroes and more like pathetic souls who are tossed into epic situations." says Alan Noble.

In his blog, Matthew Paul Turner says, "The best stories almost always lead us back to hoping that we experience the truths that define our lives. As a show, GoT often seems to be overrun with a deep hopelessness, requiring characters to make difficult decisions, hope for the best, and suffer the consequences of their mistakes. There’s rarely been an episode that, upon watching, hasn’t left my soul filled to the brim with wonder and hope, searching for the flicker of light amid the seemingly terminal darkness. The same is true for when we Christians read the stories of the men and women in the Bible. Most of us don’t let the fact that Esther was a victim of sex trafficking and prostitution prevent us from engaging the rest of the story. Most of us don’t allow the insanities found in the Book of Genesis keep us from gleaning truths from those stories. Because the majority of us Christians believe that God is not limited to being found in stories about purity and holiness. Most of us would never long for the presence of God if that were the case."

"Martin spins a dark tale full of violence, bloodshed, and sex. However, and this is important, the sex and violence are not gratuitous, exploitative, or titillating. Especially in the case of the sexual content, Martin rightfully portrays it as disgusting and perverted, for it is often not an expression of love, trust, and intimacy, but rather, yet another tool for achieving and maintaining power." says Christ & Pop Culture

Return to “TV Series”