Fear the Walking Dead | Season 1 Discussion & Season 2 Predictions

Discuss your favourite television shows.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Fear the Walking Dead | Season 1 Discussion & Season 2 Predictions

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:16 pm

I really enjoyed the slow-burn first season of Fear the Walking Dead. It seems more grounded in reality than The Walking Dead. I like how some of the characters are trying to hold on to their humanity more than others. It also poses the question of what is family... blood or bond.

Season 2 begins filming sometime in November or December 2015 and will likely be a split 15-episode season. Thoughts/comments?

neilinphilly
Major Contributor
Quote: Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out

Re: Fear the Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion

Unread postby neilinphilly » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:32 pm

I found Fear the Walking Dead intriguing. So far, it feels that the only real similarity to The Walking Dead is the walkers, so the show doesn't seem redundant. It will be interesting to see how the characters develop. Madison Clark seems too stoic, but all that's happening will change her -- and, of course, everyone -- profoundly. Travis and Chris seem more emotionally connected to what's happening, so that probably makes me identify with them more. The previews of the second season look awesome, and it appears that it will be even more eerie than the first season.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: Fear the Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm a huge fan of Kim Dickens (Madison) from the post-Katrina New Orleans show Treme and also Deadwood. I had never heard of Cliff Curtis (Travis) until this show but he's got a lot of film and television credits to his name.

A huge problem I have with the first season of The Walking Dead was really bad casting. Sure, we still have Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol and Glenn but I had never heard of any of them prior to watching The Walking Dead. At least with Fear, Kim Dickens is a recognizable lead.

I think Kim Dickens' character will descend into a Rick-tator over the course of the series and that Kim Dickens has the ability to show a soft side while being brutally harsh at the same time. I'm not sure if I'd call Madison stoic but she definitely seemed a bit slow at realizing what was going on and there seems to be a lot of internal struggle with her. Sometimes her silence speaks more than words. She seems far more pragmatic than Travis and the two will likely continue to have very different, even opposing, approaches to the zombie apocalypse going forward.

While it was a slow first season, it had some creepy and suspenseful moments. In shows like these, however, it's difficult to balance action with character development. But action just for the sake of action alone doesn't do it for me.

I'm hoping that Season 2 starts right after The Walking Dead ends, typically the end of March or beginning of April. I think the first half will be 7 episodes around April/May and then they'll take a short summer break with the final 8 episodes of Season 2 in August/September.

Return to “TV Series”