Male Hygiene - Share your tips and ask questions

Friendships, relationships, friendlationships, and interpersonal men's issues.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Male Hygiene - Share your tips and ask questions

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Hey guys, like most men today I think we are often left on our own to figure out how to improve our personal hygiene. I'd like us all to share some tips and feel comfortable to ask questions here.

I recently began shampooing my beard. As a smoker, it often absorbs cigarette odours. I find shampoo on the beard (and other places) is great at least once a week.

I was just doing a Google search on male hygiene and found this website. Do any of you do that?

What about deodorant versus antiperspirant? I only use deodorant on my armpits. Apparently antiperspirant has some cancer-causing compound in it that is easily absorbed by the thin underarm skin.

Do you shake? Who taught you to shake? My dad did very briefly when I was a kid. He never did any followup though so I quickly forgot and it never became a habit.

Mercuryotis
Major Contributor
Quote: "If you can't be good, be careful."

Re: Male Hygiene - Share your tips and ask questions

Unread postby Mercuryotis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm sure I'll regret asking but, shake what? powder?

also I have heard of deodorants and antipersperants which contain aluminum may cause cancer. I use this stuff which uses hops (of all things) to eliminate odor.

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 pm

I shampoo my beard also---

I was reading a website that said that it was good to do so and I started thinking---well the hair on my face is like the hair on my head so I guess it would be good to do so!!! haha--

Ralph
Registered Member
Quote: dadada

Unread postby Ralph » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 pm

well that website about powdering was a new one more me. Not that I have a problem with it. It does seem that men in Western culture generally have few rituals or mentors to help them through with this. Maybe a few lucky souls had fathers who taught them this. I think most of us learn on our own or from some not so informed friends in adolescence. My 2 cents

TomGoatMan
Contributor

Unread postby TomGoatMan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Can't say I that ever heard of a guy powdering his cojones! So no, I don't do that. The website/company which Mercuryotis uses (see above) is terrific; I've used their toothpaste for years, and theirs is the only one that makes me feel like my brushing has any efficacy.

I shampoo my goatee as well. Usually I just use whatever's in the shower, but once I actually invested in something terrific, from http://www.beardshampoo.com/Home.cfm. Their idea is that you don't want to put a lot of nasty chemicals and detergents near your mouth, where you could conceivably ingest them. All their cleaning and grooming products are made especially for beards. A little extravagant, I'll admit, but I thought the product was terrific. Worth it if you want a treat and have some cash to spare (yes, I know: who has cash to spare these days??).

I probably spend more on hygiene/grooming than some guys. A long time ago when I was battling to get back into shape/lose my gut, I discovered that if I paid more attention to the details of grooming, it motivated me to take better care of myself in other, more challenging ways (like eating right and keeping to my workout regimen). I figure, better I spend twenty-five bucks on a fancy shave cream or pomade than two week's worth of Krispy Kreme (doughnuts, in case you don't have them in your area). I know my stuff in this department, so if anyone has questions, I'll be glad to share what I know.

Tom
(Not affiliated with Tom's of Maine, but they really are in a class by themselves....)

Return to “Men's Stuff”