The unforced rhythms of grace...

Postmodern thought, post Christian culture, and inter-faith dialogue.
Forum rules
This forum is for Christians to dialogue about non-denominational and inter-denominational issues including various Christian doctrines, canon law, and praxis.

This forum is also for Jews, Christians, Muslims, atheists and people of other religions to engage in a positive inter-faith dialogue about both our common ground and our differences so that we might increase in our charity, compassion, and understanding with one another.

To help people in open forums wrestle with the idea of faith, Brian McLaren suggests that we focus on essentials and not debate minutiae - rather than old earth versus young earth, we should wrestle with larger issues.

The primary purpose of dialogue is to learn. In debate winning is the goal. In dialogue finding commonground is the goal.

A final note to Christians: A gracious, tasteful, thoughtful answer, even when expressing profound disagreement, is far more compelling than the unkind response which reeks of defensiveness or arrogance.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

The unforced rhythms of grace...

Unread postby musicmonkey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me — watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly. — Jesus (Matthew 11:29-30, The Message)

This is how I feel today.

Marty Farrell
Contributor

Re: The unforced rhythms of grace...

Unread postby Marty Farrell » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:43 am

Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings,

Years ago, while I was still attending services, our pastor asked the congregation a question as part of his sermon. He started it out simply with 'What is grace?'. It caught my attention! While I know the Greek for all its forms, I never stopped to think about what it actually is!! Being Pentecostal and Irish, I'm used to the voices in my head, so I asked Him. His answer is something so beautiful that it has stuck with me all these years...

"Grace is the Love of God, proceeding from the heart of Father God and flowing throughout all Creation. It is the River of Life that sustains all things, even Eternity. As we approach this river when we are weary, we are refreshed by it and wish we could stay beside it. You were meant to be IN it!! To let it in you and to be a part of its flowing!!"

Later I took up the Celtic Way and found that was part of the concept of my ancestors as well. Grace is Life, it is Love, it is Beauty. It flows and when we are a part of that flow , we are both blessed and a blessing to others! Just something to consider...

Slan,
Marty

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi Marty,

It's great to hear from you as always.

Marty Farrell wrote:Being Pentecostal and Irish, I'm used to the voices in my head

Haha. I am Mennonite but was raised Pentecostal. Does that qualify for hearing voices in my head, too?

Marty Farrell wrote:"Grace is the Love of God, proceeding from the heart of Father God and flowing throughout all Creation. It is the River of Life that sustains all things, even Eternity. As we approach this river when we are weary, we are refreshed by it and wish we could stay beside it. You were meant to be IN it!! To let it in you and to be a part of its flowing!!"

Great quote. Are you paraphrasing your former pastor?

So, how do you/we show Grace to one another and be part of that river, rather than just visit it every now and then?

Marty Farrell
Contributor

Unread postby Marty Farrell » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 am

Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Hey David,

Ooops! My bad! The definition for grace I heard came from the 'still small voice' within! Sorry, I left that step out of my explanation! It is a direct quote, as nearest I can remember, of how He explained His purpose and plan for Life.

As for how? That has a simple answer... BE Christ to others! Now to get to that point in your life is a whole other topic!!! In the Celtic Way of Spirituality, there is a process of surrender we call the 'Three Harmonies' - harmony with yourself (Christ within), harmony with God (the Source of all Life), and harmony with Creation (His presence within mankind and nature). This is the process of surrendering what you think you should be doing with your life for His design and plan, entering into the River of Life. (His Way!) From this point on, your life is not your own any more (never was anyway!) and you are part of the flow for His purposes. I love it but some have trouble letting go of 'traditional' Christianity.

Has this 'muddied the water' any better for you?

Slan,
Marty

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 am

Thanks for the clarification, Marty.

Marty Farrell wrote:I love it but some have trouble letting go of 'traditional' Christianity.

How is this different from 'traditional' Christianity?

Marty Farrell wrote:Has this 'muddied the water' any better for you?

Nope

Return to “God Stuff”