Christian Discernment 101

Postmodern thought, post Christian culture, and inter-faith dialogue.
Forum rules
This forum is for Christians to dialogue about non-denominational and inter-denominational issues including various Christian doctrines, canon law, and praxis.

This forum is also for Jews, Christians, Muslims, atheists and people of other religions to engage in a positive inter-faith dialogue about both our common ground and our differences so that we might increase in our charity, compassion, and understanding with one another.

To help people in open forums wrestle with the idea of faith, Brian McLaren suggests that we focus on essentials and not debate minutiae - rather than old earth versus young earth, we should wrestle with larger issues.

The primary purpose of dialogue is to learn. In debate winning is the goal. In dialogue finding commonground is the goal.

A final note to Christians: A gracious, tasteful, thoughtful answer, even when expressing profound disagreement, is far more compelling than the unkind response which reeks of defensiveness or arrogance.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:11 am

Okay, it's been a year since the original post. Anyone care to comment? I just re-read it all again tonight. It's definitely a challenge for me to be winsome every day. But it's something that I must strive to do. Has anyone been applying any of this in your discussions or while listening to music or watching movies? And are you more aware of your own worldview because of it?

graham
Contributor

being winsome

Unread postby graham » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:54 am

Since it must be about a year since I've posted I thought I better keep my oar in before the boss-man gets well cheesed off! Life is too busy and unrealistically demanding when you hit your 40s, so enjoy all you can guys before you get there!

Being winsome with others is about being interesting. To be interesting you must have passion about where you are coming from, integrity re how you live out your passion, and humility re listening to where others are coming from. Winsomeness is not about being cute, sexy, witty or brainy. It is seen in how we live out what we believe - it is a facet of spirituality, something us guys ain't all that good about!

scottfinn
Major Contributor

Winsome

Unread postby scottfinn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 pm

Sone definitions of winsome, just for the sake of entertainment...

- charming in a childlike or naive way
- generally pleasing and engaging often because of a childlike charm and innocence

Wink

funguy
Contributor

Re: Christian Discernment 101

Unread postby funguy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 am

i think a key to "winsome" discernment is in learning how to do it without passing judgment on others whose views do not agree with ours. we can choose to avoid people, places, and things which lead us away from God without a) attacking those things directly or b) preaching to others that they must follow our oh-so-holy examples. that's not to say there isn't a time and a place for attacking and preaching. but if those actions always coincide with our righteous use of discernment, it is unlikely that those observing us will see a clear differentiation between how we use our free will and how we attempt to impose our wills on theirs.

ed

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: Christian Discernment 101

Unread postby musicmonkey » Fri May 18, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks Scott, Graham and Ed for some excellent thoughts on responding winsomely to those who see things very differently than we do. I think a key to being winsome is in learning to have an open dialogue. It's not easily done and takes practice, patience, and discipline.

Return to “God Stuff”