\\ General updates on life - an open thread //

An open forum for general discussion and random topics.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: \\ General updates on life - an open thread //

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:44 pm

OneWayRawk wrote:By the way----I think it might be time you do another video---I think its been like what...4 months or so?

On what?

Actually, with their permission, I've been recording some Skype chats I've had recently with catt and jeff (guys here). We were mostly discussing social justice and inner city poverty issues including freeways, beltways and ghettos. Jeff recently did some church volunteer work in the inner city with youths. I need to edit it down though. It would be an mp3. I guess I could post it on YouTube. It's quite interesting because Jeff and I see more eye to eye on that topic than catt.

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:54 pm

That would be cool---

I liked your views on Christian Music----

I think it was "The Devil May Have All The Bad Music" and please forgive me if I had the title wrong--

Most christian music these days are either Worship or music that could go for God or a relationship with a man/woman because God is often described as YOU

So who knows.

hard to find that middle ground to please everybody--

then again we as Christians arent here to please everybody either.

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:58 pm

You said you didn't agree with everything I said though. What specifically did you not agree with?

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I think that was more so on the video "Ministry"

And I guess it wasnt more so that I didnt agree with you but just don't have the same view----then again that could be the same thing right?

I guess I'm more so along with the guy (and I forgot his name) that had the video response to the video he left....and I was hoping that maybe he would have left another one but I don't think he did.

I look at Ministry as everyday life-------

I think what we are doing right now is Ministry to one another------I don't think you have to have a "Ministry" job to be in the Ministry but at the same time I don't see it wrong getting paid for "Ministry" if you have a gift that you have been given by God and called upon to do that...ya know?

Say for example---

If somebody is called to be a preacher then yes they can preach outside the church (not enough of that going on) but at the same time if they feel like they are meant to do it for a living then I don't see anything wrong with that because I mean we all have bills to pay and house notes and car notes and power bills and so on.......

So money has to be coming somewhere to live----AHHH YES FOOD-----you know clothes and the list goes on---especially if your married AND have kids----

Now I know people like Rich Mullins who took the "poverty oath" and lived in a little hut I believe in New Mexico to help the Native Americans with their land and teach them about Jesus.

I think its really what God has laid on the person heart--everybody is called to do something different than the next person I guess is what I'm trying to say...or type!

musicmonkey
Founder

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

OneWayRawk wrote:I guess I'm more so along with the guy (and I forgot his name) that had the video response to the video he left....and I was hoping that maybe he would have left another one but I don't think he did.

was his ID: andthebooksays?

OneWayRawk wrote:I think what we are doing right now is Ministry to one another------I don't think you have to have a "Ministry" job to be in the Ministry but at the same time I don't see it wrong getting paid for "Ministry" if you have a gift that you have been given by God and called upon to do that...ya know?

I agree that this is ministry here and you don't have to have a ministry "job". However, I tend to agree with the premise of the book Pagan Christianity: Origins of Our Modern Church Practices but I'm still open to listening to other opinions. I dunno, I guess if the western world's god is consumerism, then I am an atheist to that god. I just see so much "ministry" focused on the pastor's agenda, building earthly kingdoms with big parking lots, etc. I'm much more into Kingdom values than earthly kingdoms. Great topic, though.

Return to “Open Forum”