CS Lewis - A Grief Observed

Book discussions, lectures, spoken word and literature.
musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

CS Lewis - A Grief Observed

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:28 am

"Oh, God, God, why did you take such trouble to force this creature out of its shell, if it's now doomed to crawl back — to be sucked back — into it?"

"Your bid--for God or no God, for a good God or the Cosmic Sadist, for eternal life or nonentity--will not be serious if nothing much is staked on it. And you will never discover how serious it was until the stakes are raised horribly high. Nothing will shake a man--or at any rate a man like me--out of his merely verbal thinking and his merely notional beliefs. He has to be knocked silly before he comes to his senses. Only torture will bring out the truth. Only under torture does he discover it himself."
- CS Lewis, A Grief Observed

Discuss the book here...

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Re: CS Lewis - A Grief Observed

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 pm

I was listening to a lecture series on this book tonight and wanted to resurrect this old topic with a few quotes from the lecturer:

"the longing - the joy - only comes when we stop seeking it as an end in itself... it is not the idea of God we must seek, nor the feelings He inspires in us, but God Himself, the myth made real"

OneWayRawk
Major Contributor

Re: CS Lewis - A Grief Observed

Unread postby OneWayRawk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:47 pm

My favorite book by C.S. Lewis---

I was in tears while reading this book through certain parts---

This may be C.S. Lewis shortest book that he has written but I believe the most heart felt at the same time.

Return to “Book Discussions”