Wild At Heart by John Eldredge [Discussion]

Book discussions, lectures, spoken word and literature.

Have you read Wild At Heart?

You may select 1 option

View results

jackson

Unread postby jackson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:04 am

Very Happy I have found Wild at Heart to be a major cataylst in my life that speaks deep into my heart and soul about the man God made me to be. The boot camps i have beeen to have been life transforming. This goes deeper than any sexual issue i dealt with, I found i was looking for my masculine idenity in sex and that was not th place for it. Since i got back from colorado this past January, the open warfare has gotten worse and the battle is on..Satan looses i know that but i wonder if he does. The bible has taken on fresh meaning for me. Arrow and the journey continues. paddy

Unread postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:54 am

I'm going to have to get the book.

smokey the dog

Unread postby smokey the dog » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:26 pm

Well I got the book in the spring, and I have yet to finish it. I made it to chapter 2.
I keep wanting to throw the book across the room.
I write my objections in the margins untill there is no more room.
I keep saying NO!
I have trouble relating to this moose hugging testosterone dripping man who seems to think all men should be Klingons.
I however think men should be more like the Federation.

Mercuryotis
Major Contributor
Quote: "If you can't be good, be careful."

Unread postby Mercuryotis » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:56 pm

I cliped this list out of one of those "john eldridge is a heritic" articles. but these are the things that the author admited were good and truly resonate with men our our time.

1. Our culture (and even our churches) has adopted a strategy that facilitates the feminization of men.

2. Masculinity, with its predilection to adventure, rowdiness, and risk has become a condition to be cured.

3. Consequently, boys are in big trouble. School systems and churches have not taken the unique features of masculinity into consideration when designing curriculum or programs.

4. Our culture, intent on emasculating its boys, has produced a huge sense of withdrawal and boredom from its men.

5. As disconcerting as it may be to mothers everywhere, masculinity can only be imparted by masculinity. In other words, a young boy is never really sure he's become a man until another man, or group of men, tells him so. Sadly, many, if not most, men have abdicated this responsibility.

6. Every man needs a battle for which he can live and die.

So why does this list resonate with me so much? even though I totally agree with Dogspheres comment about the notion that men are supposed to "act like Klingons" This interests me a lot because I totally bought into the idea that civilized people acted a certain way. then somehow i realized that it wasn't true, it just makes me angry that I never knew i should have tried to become more well rounded in the traits men should have, not just the "civilized" traits.
Mark

A man cannot live an authenticly human life as a man, unless he has become a child of God.
-Augustine

flipster
Contributor

Unread postby flipster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:59 pm

I have read it twice. I found it confirming of some inner beliefs. I have never been a star trek fan, so I don't know what a klingon is, or how one is supposed to act. Smokey, I am curious: why did you continue reading a book that you find disagreeable? I have run into books like that. Chapter two and I am done with it.

Return to “Book Discussions”