Wild At Heart by John Eldredge [Discussion]

Book discussions, lectures, spoken word and literature.

Have you read Wild At Heart?

You may select 1 option

View results

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:17 pm

flipster wrote:Chapter two and I am done with it.

When I read things that I disagree with, it is an opportunity for me to either learn another's perspective and possibly glean a broader understanding, or to more solidly convince me of my own views and enable me to better defend them. For me, disagreeing isn't necessarily a negative thing and can often be a tremendous opportunity for growth.

Regarding Wild At Heart, I sort of gave up after the first few chapters too, not because I disagreed, but more because I got bored. I do plan on finishing it one day though.

David

flipster
Contributor

Unread postby flipster » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:46 pm

I get a little discouraged purchasing books. It seems like there are several books by well known authors that (in my very humble and probably not well thought out opinion) see to be contractual writings to fill a number of pages. That being said, I carefully choose books, so it is seldom I run into the problem of not finishing a book, but it does happen. My schedule is pretty packed, so my reading time is limited. I try to stick with books that I think will build my spiritual life. My most recent read was Watchman Nee. That one book changed my prayer life.

smokey the dog

Unread postby smokey the dog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:17 pm

flipster wrote:I have read it twice. I found it confirming of some inner beliefs. I have never been a star trek fan, so I don't know what a klingon is, or how one is supposed to act. Smokey, I am curious: why did you continue reading a book that you find disagreeable? I have run into books like that. Chapter two and I am done with it.

Well,I wanted to know why the book was both so popular, and so reviled by some. I personally want to be able to share my concerns about the book, and not just parrot some website.

Maybe I will finish someday Rolling Eyes

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:54 am

smokey the dog wrote:Well,I wanted to know why the book was both so popular, and so reviled by some.

Generally speaking, I think that those who revile such books do so as a reaction to those who praise them. Personally, whenever I hear something like "this book changed my life" (other than the Bible), I get very wary. I purposely did not buy The Purpose Driven Life because I did not want to support the commercialized self-help industry. I went to the home group and read the free study guide questions but I didn't buy the book or the matching daytimer. It's the matching daytimer that really turned me off. Now, no offense to Rick Warren, I am confident that his heart is in the right place. But as I'm well aware in my own life, just because my heart is in the right place, doesn't always mean my actions are in sync with my heart. ALso, when the leaders at the church I was going to began heralding this program as the best way to grow churches, another red flag went up. Same with The Alpha Course, et al. In many ways, the western world is hooked on "programs". I'm sure some help, but it's the way in which these books and programs are packaged that makes me think of a McFranchise (see Mustard Seed Vs. McWorld: Reinventing Life and Faith for the Future). One of you even commented that the LEOAB logo has been a concern and it has got me to critically examine the 'branding' of this group.

I think it's tough really. On one hand we have a tremendous need for revival in the western world, but we often go about it by Christianizing worldly phenomena like "best sellers". They even have CDs called "Best Worship Hits". How can there be a best worship hit? Heaven will have the best worship but it won't have the weekly Hit Countdown.

Anyway, with Wild At Heart, I think it strikes both postive and negative chords with people because it's hitting a nerve that has been overlooked. From what I've read, it brings up some truths about men in the church that some find hard to accept. From the criticism I've read about the book, I think some of the theology of the book is a bit off center and so it is easily attacked.

Just whatever you do, keep a grain of salt nearby and don't buy the matching daytimer Wink

David

bareskin73
Contributor

Re: Wild At Heart by John Eldredge [Discussion]

Unread postby bareskin73 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Let me revive this topic.

I just got done reading this book and I actually liked it. Is there theoligical problems with it, yes. But so does every sermon that I've ever heard preached by man. I have yet to hear anyone that has got it all together (not even me), therefore it is our personal responsability to search the scriptures to see if these things are so (if I may be so bold to quote scripture). We are responsable for our own beliefs about God and what He is to us, if we just trust what a book or a pastor tells us then we allow a lier to declare what our salvation is. The Bible does declare, "let God be true and every man a lier." Is there any exception to 'every man'? So if you hate this book, love it, or somewhere inbetween, it doesn't matter because our personal relationship with our creator is just that PERSONAL, therefore we all need to make a person effort in developing that intimate relationship with our God, our Saviour, our Lord and our Friend.

John Eldridge made some great observations that I can identify with, some of which I already instictively knew. Does that mean we should base our theology on what he says? Uh, we have a Bible for theological studies. We don't need to get it from any other source. This is a book about the heart of man, take it as just that, a book about men.

Daniel

Return to “Book Discussions”