The Rise of Non-Americanism & The Post-American World

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

The Rise of Non-Americanism & The Post-American World

Unread postby musicmonkey » Wed May 28, 2008 7:00 am

I found a very interesting and poignant article as CNN begins Global Public Square with Fareed Zakaria. I'm looking forward to this show, I've enjoyed Zakaria's work on PBS's Foreign Exchange with Fareed Zakaria.

On May 18, 2008 in The Rise of Non-Americanism, Review of The Post-American World, by Fareed Zakaria, The Washington Post wrote:After the Iraq war, Fareed Zakaria argued in his Newsweek column that the world's new organizing principle was pro- or anti-Americanism. But as the Iraq muddle drags on and China rises, the larger story of the post-Cold War era has come into sharp relief: We are not the center of the universe. It matters less that particular countries are pro- or anti-American than that the world is increasingly non-American. We need to get over ourselves. Zakaria argues that America's world-beating economic vibrancy co-exists with a dysfunctional political system. "A 'can-do' country is now saddled with a 'do-nothing' political process, designed for partisan battle rather than problem solving," he writes. "The rest" is moving on. [READ MORE]

Return to “General”