A Benny Hinn expose by CBC's The Fifth Estate

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

A Benny Hinn expose by CBC's The Fifth Estate

Unread postby musicmonkey » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:08 am

The Fifth Estate on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) ran a documentary on Benny Hinn including hidden cameras, financial information on his lavish expenses, and follow-up on people he claimed to "heal" whose conditions are either the same, worse or they have since died. You can watch this documentary online and also download PDF versions of his 5 star hotel bills, $1000 tips, and other extravagant "petty cash" expenditures to himself and his family often with "no details" provided.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/main_miracles.html

tcogbijn
Contributor

Re: A Benny Hinn expose by CBC's The Fifth Estate

Unread postby tcogbijn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:20 pm

I remember something about this awhile ago. It is a shame because I believe that Benny Hinn is used by God. In the late 90s and early 00's, I really supported and learned from his scripture teachings. He does know a lot of cool stuff about the Bible. However, it seems to me that lavish spending is a stumbling block for many successful ministry leaders. Not all tho. Certainly, a successful ministry leader who is in charge of a lot of ministry activities, and ministers to a global audience is deserving of a decent salary for his/her efforts. However, it gives them no excuse to stay at the best hotels and go to the most expensive restaurants using ministry funds. Recent news also had accusations against Oral Robert's son for misappropriation of funds. I believe that many prominent leaders attempt to live godly lives but are not so careful with spending.

Regarding healings and miracles, I've been to a Benny Hinn crusade before. Has anyone ever felt the tangible presence of God, here? I know that might sound a bit off but I have felt this presence in my life. God doesn't seem to reveal Himself in this way to all people and perhaps not right away when people seek this. However, I believe He does so more often at crusades like this where people's faith are ignited and people are crying out to God for Him to meet them in all areas of their lives, including the physical. When I went to the crusade, I've felt this tangible presence but significantly stronger running through my hands as I had lifted them up and prayed. If you don't think this is biblical, check out the old testament stories of how powerful the glory of God was in the temple. 2nd Chronicles 5-7 goes on and on about times of great worship and a tangible presence of God that did things such as prevented the priests from standing as well as burning up offerings...
2Chronicles 5:14: So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

I encourage everyone to seek God to be that real in his/her lives. We may not experience a solomon's temple celebration, but there is something heart changing about when God reveals Himself in special ways to us.

I have felt this same presence while worshipping and singing to HIm whether at church or in prayer times.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 4 years old. Around the year 2000, I was having an asthma attack and called someone for prayer. I kid you not...about 5 minutes later, the asthma disappeared and I was breathing normal. Since then, I have not experienced any asthma episodes. I truly believe that God had healed me of this and in a very remarkable way. Note that this wasn't at a crusade either.

Regarding the false healings, I believe that the evidence is mostly true that the people weren't healed. Being in environments where people's faith runs far ahead of God and little discernment, I know this to be true. People get caught up in calling things as 'so' even though they are 'not'. What I've asked God and never figured out is when He decides to heal people miraculously. It seems to be the exception and not the rule. I do get to wondering about the wheelchair healings at Hinn's crusades. Out of all those people bound to wheelchairs and have been healed, how come he can't ask these people to produce genuine documentation showing their form of crippling and send them to all the dissidents bent on slamming his reputation into the sand?

Peace.

musicmonkey
Founder
Favourite TV Show: The Leftovers
Quote: Nevermind, it's pointless

Unread postby musicmonkey » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:32 pm

tcogbijn wrote:I believe that Benny Hinn is used by God.

I don't.

tcogbijn wrote:Certainly, a successful ministry leader who is in charge of a lot of ministry activities, and ministers to a global audience is deserving of a decent salary for his/her efforts.

I do not believe that salaried pastors are biblical. Jesus certainly never got paid for his sermons. He made his living as a carpenter. People gave him food, but he also fished with his disciples. I believe that there should be multiple shepherds in a church body, and not one leader who calls the shots and gets paid.

In Is the Pastorate Pagan?, Out of Ur blog at Christianity Today wrote:One of the contemporary church practices Viola denounces is "The Pastor" (chapter five). Although "by and large, those who serve in the office of pastor are wonderful people," Viola argues, nevertheless, "it is the role they fill that both Scripture and church history are opposed to.” He makes the following argument from Scripture: 1) The word "pastor" appears only once in the New Testament, in Ephesians 4:11. 2) The word for pastor in Ephesians 4 is plural, which suggests there were more than one pastor at each church. 3) The word means "shepherd," and does not, therefore, refer to a formal office, but simply a function of the church. 4) Finally, the passage "offers absolutely no definition or description of who pastors are."

tcogbijn wrote:Regarding the false healings, I believe that the evidence is mostly true that the people weren't healed.

I completely agree.

It's great that your asthma went away. By the way, did you watch the documentary?

tcogbijn
Contributor

Unread postby tcogbijn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:03 pm

No, I didn't check it out but I've seen a lengthy tv broadcast describing the same items not too many months ago as well as heard the stories of another broadcast about 3 or 4 years ago.

I do see what your saying about a single leader being a bad idea. Possibly unbiblical and scripture seems to support it. I also don't believe that Benny Hinn is making ministry decisions completely on his own. The problem I think here is in his system of accountability. Who are his advisors helping him out and are there people who know about his activities who are in a position to warn him if he is falling off course? I'm sure that Hinn has preached himself about the importance of a multitude of counselors. Whether it is fully biblical or not, your quote does acknowledge that there are a lot of competent leaders in the world. And FWIW, many churches that I know have associate pastors, copastors, elders, boards and the like. How effective they are with accountability is a different story.

Mmm...I'll check out the link right now tho, then off to bed.

John

Return to “General”